My first RAID 0 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Well I did have a 160gb 7200.9 RAID 0 setup ages ago on my 4400x2 setup but I didn't know what I was doing and never had it working properly...

Anyway, I got 2 Hitachi 7k1000.B 750GB drives for a great price...these are Hitachi's new drives with 2 platters, so that's 375gb per platter which ain't too bad :D

Here's an hdtune bench...

I had the setup on the Silicon Image controller on my P5Q first and performance was.... ick....about 120mb/sec read max!! :/ As you can see, the ICH10R is MUCH, MUCH beter.

20363331.png

Nice! I'm still debating doing a RAID setup sometime in the future. Have you done any actual tests? I'm not very familiar with HD Tune, I didn't know if there would be a point to attempting to move a very large file and testing the speed, and moving loads of small files and testing.

Well here's a folder containing 48mb rar files for a total of 1.12GB being copied....and on the right is a single 1GB file being moved. Takes literally a couple seconds, it doesn't even have time to calculate how the time remaining.

And unrarring a 720p TV episode (little over a 1gb) takes about 6 seconds....and application startup time is significantly faster as is windows boot time.

40997729.png

**edit***

just did another bench and got better results this time...I've got to say that I'm quite pleased with this setup...these seem like great drives!

71902678.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom