my first OC, questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesR

Baseband Member
Hey, yesterday i did my first overclock on my P4 Prescott 3.00Ghz w/HT
i did a hell of a lot of reading, about OC-ing, but obviously not enough.
i got my CPU running stable at 3.3ghz ran Prime95 torture test for 9hrs, with no problems!
BIOS Settings;
CPU Speed - Manual
CPU Frequency Multiple 15x - Locked.
CPU External Frequency [Mhz] - 220/30
Memory Frequency [Mhz] - 183 (with 4 choices of, Auto,146,183,220)

now a few questions about the settings i have in the BIOS.
for the CPU External Frequency the first number, [220] is the FSB, and the second [30] is?? could that be the AGP/PCI bus speed?
when the FSB is at 200, AGP/PCI is at 33.
does it matter if the AGP/PCI Bus is not at 33, ie; higher or lower?
i tried setting the CPU External Frequency at 240/33, which then let me choose 200Mhz for the Memory Frequency, but that put the CPU Speed up to 3606Ghz. computer started fine, but when i tried a benchmark test, system froze.
so i set it back to 3Ghz, and upped it again.
the Vcore is at a steady 1.36 at idle, but drops to 1.26 underload.. should i up the vcore?

at the moment temps are steady at 45C at Idle, and 55C underload.

NOW, i have 2x 512Mb PC3200 DDR Ram @ 200Mhz
1 stick is Kingston, the other is Value Ram
when i did a benchmark test using Everest Ultimate Edition 2005, it shows my RAM as being PC2900..
is that because it is running at 183Mhz? is it safe to run it over 200Mhz?

well i think thats it for now..
hopefully its enough information to get the answers i need.

also, sorry if these questions have been posted numerous times before..

Thanks.

Indeed you haven't read enough as if you had you would known that the AGP/PCI absolutely needs to stay at 66/33Mhz

memory dividers is also covered but you seem confused on that as well.

When you set your memory to 200Mhz that means it's going to follow the FSB at a 1:1 ratio, not that it's actually at 200MHz (this applies of course to when your FSB is above 200MHz)

When you set it at 183 then it's going to be below whatever the FSB is set at by that certain percentage which would be why your RAM was showing PC2900...as to whether or not it's safe to go over 200MHz, once again this is something covered in all the available stickies we've posted here which tells me you probably got excited at overclocking, thought you read enough and really haven't.

If your RAM is good RAM and you know how to properly overclock it then yeah it's safe.

if your CPU can get into windows at 3.6 but freezes at tests then obviously you need a bit more vcore.

However, if yours is dropping from 1.36 to 1.26 under load then that tells me you probably have a weak PSU with a weak +12v rail in particular and you need to have a good strong PSU that doesn't fluctuate if you want to properly overclock.

I suggest you read quite a bit more, as like I said most everything you asked and I described is covered in those stickies....the AMD64 one would even help you, albeit of course it's for AMD64s some principles still apply, but you'd need to ignore parts about the LTD bus and things like that.

The OC'ing guide by Kangaroo would be the best started considering it's still dealing with FSBs, AGP/PCI Busses and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom