My First OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I learn something everyday...thanks for the explanation.

Does this apply to AMD CPUs only?

yeah, as far as i know. intels memory dividers are completely different than amd's memory speed dividers.
i dont know volumes about intel overclcoking, though.
but i know you can set the divider in intel rigs to keep the ram at a stable speed. kind of the same in respect to the effect it has on your overclock. but how you go about doing it is different.

yeah, as far as i know. intels memory dividers are completely different than amd's memory speed dividers.
i dont know volumes about intel overclcoking, though.
but i know you can set the divider in intel rigs to keep the ram at a stable speed. kind of the same in respect to the effect it has on your overclock. but how you go about doing it is different.

it all depends on the motherboard chipset.....

Anyway...to the OP....if you're stable at 3ghz then you can put your HT link to 4...you always want to keep the HT link as close to 1000 as possible.

HT 2.0 is speced at 1000mhz any higher and its unstable, but to run below it you are cutting down your memory bandwidth and you want to have as optimal an OC as possible. so you have to always have an eye on you HT speed and drop the multi as necessary.

HT 2.0 is speced at 1000mhz any higher and its unstable, but to run below it you are cutting down your memory bandwidth and you want to have as optimal an OC as possible. so you have to always have an eye on you HT speed and drop the multi as necessary.

yup...also depends on the motherboard a bit...I was able to run my HT link at 4x or 1100mhz on my DFI Ultra-D....dunno if it made it any faster but I figured if it was stable then it would be better than running it at 3x or 825mhz. (275mhz FSB and 3025mhz CPU clock)

i could hold my system stable with a 1250mhz ht link, of course that isnt recomended unless you know what you mobo can do. The extra money i spent on the KN8 Ultra really payed off.

I think part of my initial problem was I had the AMD "Cool and Quiet" turned on... I disabled that and things started working much better...

I did experience a lock up where I had to reboot once... What type of things can I do to fix that... Like I said I haven't tested for stability and when I do so I will probably drop it back to 2.8 or so and start there...

But for now the initial lockups, what can be done???

After doing some reading today I am wondering if someone can clear something up for me...

I am using a multiplier of 12.5 and the FSB of 242 to reach the 3 GHZ mark.

Would there be any advantage to going with a multiplier of 10 and a FSB of 300 for instance or multiplier of 11 and FSB of 280???

Can someone clear this up as to why one way may be better than the other???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom