My First OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
Ok, after several attempts and many times of clearing cmos to get back to square one I've finally got something stable.

cpu clock - 213
multiplier x12.5
cpu volts - 1.350V

Gives me a whopping 2663 MHZ

Please tell me that my system is capable of more than this... I was hoping for close to 3000 MHZ and just got my Tuniq Tower 120 installed. Any ideas on how to get closer to my goal would be appreciated...

Of course it is capable of more than just a 163MHz overclock. Just up the FSB more, in increments of 5-10MHz. But remember to test for stability first, before you move up. If it turns out unstable, just up the voltage. Just one notch up.

Of course it is capable of more than just a 163MHz overclock. Just up the FSB more, in increments of 5-10MHz. But remember to test for stability first, before you move up. If it turns out unstable, just up the voltage. Just one notch up.

Well I did go up in small increments like I've read. Anything more than what I have done results in a black screen and me clearing the cmos. I did have it up to 2.8 and 2.7 but I ran 3dmark06 and it rebooted. Only time I could get it to run all the way through was at the settings above. I know thats not "stable" but I figured it was an quick check before I dug in anymore... I had the voltage up to 1.45V in doing so as well...

drop the ht multiplier to 4 (or 3).
if that doesnt work (it will), raise the cpu voltage one notch.

Not sure where I find the ht multiplier.... Is that the one that is currently set at x12.5???

cpuz2663.jpg

no, thats the cpu multiplier.
the ht multiplier will be in the bios somewhere.
you hvae it set to either "auto" or 5 now.
5 x 213 (bus speed) = 1065 ht link(your hypertransport speed, keep it below 1000).

no, thats the cpu multiplier.
the ht multiplier will be in the bios somewhere.
you hvae it set to either "auto" or 5 now.
5 x 213 (bus speed) = 1065 ht link(your hypertransport speed, keep it below 1000).

Yeah, I found it... Right now I'm at the following..

cpu clock - 242
multiplier x12.5
cpu volts - 1.450V
HT 3x
DDR2 667 (does this sound right?)
idle temp looks to be 40 - 45C

So this puts me at 3026MHZ... I have not tested for stability as of yet...

cpuz3026.jpg

How does the CPU-Z screenshot look???

ddr2 667 is probably right. if you go higher you may have to drop it to ddr2 533.
temps are okay. check them under load. although, it is highly likely that any windows program for monitoring temps will give you inaccurate readings on a brisbane. i haven't found one yet that is accurate.

lol...you just rushed the OC didn't you?

Hey nagasama,
What's the point of getting DDR2-800 RAM, if you're just going to drop the speed?

because you can drop it to ddr2 667 and overclock your cpu, which in turn will overclock your ram. so your ram is spec'd at ddr2 800, you drop it to ddr2 667 in bios, and then you overclock it back up to ddr 800 speeds using the cpu frequency. if you have ddr2 667, you probably cant clock far past ddr2 800 speeds. but, if you get some good ddr2 800, by dropping the ram speed to 667 in bios you can get well above ddr2 800 speed and still have headroom on your cpu overclock. but if you dont drop to ddr 667 or lower, your ram will hit its max waaaay before the cpu does (if you have a lower clocked cpu, like my 3600). this is good for those of us with low clock speed amd cpus. it means we can clock our cpus as high as possible and run the ram at speeds at which it will be stable.
so, we are still getting the full usage, nad then some, out of ddr2 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom