My computer is freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobily

Beta member
Hello, I have built my own PC and i'm pretty good with computers myself. However lately i've been experiencing a problem and its been running great until a few weeks ago. I have made no hardware changes since then except adding 4GB RAM. My computer has frozen 5 or 6 times since then. I'm not sure if its heat, or what really, but heat is my best guess since i noticed some of my tempatures are unusally higher than what they were.

I have an Intel i7 930 2.8GHz not OC! With Elitegroup X58B-A2 motherboard under the hood and an 850 Watt Power supply with Nvidia Geforce 295 GTX MFG by Gigabyte. Currently have 8GB PNY DDR3 1333 RAM (4x2GB) equipped with a case fan extra only. The case fan runs at a lil less than 1,000 RPMs which i'd like to jack up. CPUID Hardware Monitor is what i use to check my tempatures. my CPU cores run between 55-70 degrees Celsuis idle now, why i'm not sure? My GPU core will run from 60 to 70 celsuis, i've never seen it over 70, as by the time it's 70 i experience a freeze. Possibly a GPU temp high? However i have read up that 70 is fine for this card to handle.

My best estimation is my Memory overheating, however i have ran multiple memory tests and they experience no errors. and I have done some CPU benchmarking/stress testing and i've seen my CPU reach 88 degrees and still run fine. Why? I dunno because 88 is very high so my CPU is high yes, but not enough to cause a freeze. Now i've played music while freezing to see how it reacts, its an instant sound replay of maybe 0.2 seconds of sound dinging at me lol. my numlock doesn't react or my mouse, ctrl+alt+delx2 will not reboot PC. Keyboard totally unresponsive during a freeze. Never had a BSOD though!

I play World of Warcraft, btw. When i play it for an hour or 2 i'll freeze, but earlier today i froze just booting up so i'm thinking theres a problem. I've checked my system for viruses and whatnot, nothing. My hard drive is not even close to full. I have a very nice system i should not be exerincing these freezes. It happened ever since i got 2 new sticks of PNY RAM. I have them placed in the first 4 slots of my MB, they do get hot i must say, i've taken my case off and touched them yeah they are deffinitely hot. My system gets air dusted out once a month at the least. So it's not dusty at all very clean.

I can provide any screenshots or pictures of my computer you like, just give me some advice here, i've done everything i know and still puzzled.

Your CPU temperature is HOT. 88C+ is more than HOT enough to cause a freeze up. Make sure the Heatsink is firmly attached to the mobo, all (4) push pins (or legs).

8GB of ram with a i7 930???? The i7 930 has a triple channel memory controller and the memory should be installed in sets of 3 (3x1GB), (3x2GB), (3x4GB) or if you want to use all the slots you would buy 2x(3x1GB), 2x(3x2GB) or 2x(3x4GB).

By using a (4x2GB) configuration you are no longer in Triple Channel mode and the extra 2GB stick is REDUCING your performance. You have (2) smart options, #1- take out (1) stick of memory or #2- buy (2) more sticks of memory.

88C is far from the danger zone unless they downed the thermal limit from the core 2 to the I7 how ever it's definitly not a confortable temperature for a desktop

slaymate is how ever right about the channels

Well, its only 88 with a stress test performed for over 20 minutes.

on boot its anywhere from 50 minimum to 59. i only get over 60 if i'm using some applications that are running it. If i play a game or anything i get up to 75, i dont go over 80 unless i stress test for a long time.

As far as the memory sticks, now i had 2x2GB before i had 4x2GB and i was fine then, but with 4x2GB its not okay. I'd rather get another 2x2GB as a permanent solution, but i can run it with 3x2GB until then and see how things go, I didn't really think that may cause heat, i knew it wouldn't be efficient tho. I Was planning on getting another 2x2GB RAM anyway, as i'm not done upgrading. I just am leading to some failures here so i figured i should ask about some cooling ideas.

My heatsink and fan are properly installed i can even provide pictures, no problem.

EDIT: I have 3 installed now, Memory showing 6GB, took one out.

I booted up fine, as normal and CPU was 52 degrees in all 4 cores. Right now as i type cores 1/2/4 are 51C and core 3 is 53 system has been running at this time for 4 minutes. seems a little bit cooler. I'll update if i experience another freeze within the next hour or so. Thanks for that advice hopefully this is a good temporary fix.

88C is far from the danger zone unless they downed the thermal limit from the core 2 to the I7 how ever it's definitly not a confortable temperature for a desktop

slaymate is how ever right about the channels

I am right about more than that. 88C is SCREAMING HOT.

Well, its only 88 with a stress test performed for over 20 minutes.

on boot its anywhere from 50 minimum to 59. i only get over 60 if i'm using some applications that are running it. If i play a game or anything i get up to 75, i dont go over 80 unless i stress test for a long time.

At stock speeds that is HOT. My i7 920 is air-cooled and overclocked to 4.2GHz and I never, ever come close to those temperatures.

Bobily said:
As far as the memory sticks, now i had 2x2GB before i had 4x2GB and i was fine then, but with 4x2GB its not okay. I'd rather get another 2x2GB as a permanent solution, but i can run it with 3x2GB until then and see how things go, I didn't really think that may cause heat, i knew it wouldn't be efficient tho. I Was planning on getting another 2x2GB RAM anyway, as i'm not done upgrading. I just am leading to some failures here so i figured i should ask about some cooling ideas.

You were running a 2x2GB setup before the 4x2GB and you were fine. Yes, it will run with those SPEC'S but you are losing Performance. It's like buying a Corvette and then driving it around on 13" rims. The car drives but not only does it look funny, it's also the slowest Corvette on the road.

Bobily said:
My heatsink and fan are properly installed i can even provide pictures, no problem.

Well something is seriously wrong and it "HAS" to be related to your Heatsink. When you installed the heatsink did you add extra Thermal Paste? Or did you clean the existing Pre-Applied Thermal Paste off of the Heatsink and not replace it?

Checkout this Thread, your overheating issue is quite simular whether your overclocking or not.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/d...ing-i7-930-cpu-gigabyte-x58-ud3r-mobo-232308/

Bobily said:
EDIT: I have 3 installed now, Memory showing 6GB, took one out.

Download SiSoft Sandra and run the Memory Benchmarks with 6GB and then with 8GB and see what happens.

Bobily said:
I booted up fine, as normal and CPU was 52 degrees in all 4 cores. Right now as i type cores 1/2/4 are 51C and core 3 is 53 system has been running at this time for 4 minutes. seems a little bit cooler. I'll update if i experience another freeze within the next hour or so. Thanks for that advice hopefully this is a good temporary fix.

Temporary Fix??? The memory configuration has nothing to do with your Temperatures, I mentioned it only because it was setup wrong.

When i bought the processor it came with the heatsink and fan combo, as i'm sure your aware the 2 are already attached. It came with thermal paste already applied. I did not remove or add any.

Now, i notice my fan speed for my cpu run retardedly slow. I dont have anything enabled in the BIOS that would slow it down, so idk why. But i'd really like to have a sensor for my RAM heat, when i was playing with them they were so hot they burned my fingers lol

i went oww and had to wait for them to cool down to even touch them. :tongue:

Edit:
Temp27JUN10.jpg

This is a 30 minute recording from awaking from sleep mode to doing nothing the whole time. it woke up at minimum temps, and did nothing but climb, still climbing... Everything is! my GpU gets hot then the fan blows hard and cools it down.

Also, I have checked for any and all malware, spyware or trojans anti-viruses run up spotless!

This is the case i'm using btw: http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=75109

Well I don't know if this could actually cause a HEAT problem or not, but your Power Supply looks like it's about to die. The 3.3 volt line and both the +12 volt and the -12 volts lines are way LOW.

temp27jun10.jpg

Wow! really? it's a brand new power supply!

850W thermaltake

its not even 2 months old maybe not even 1 month its showed that voltage since i purchased it.

>.> I have options to dual cord power lines into power pin sockets, maybe i should take advantage and juice my Mobo more or what?

I also got options in my bios for voltages I'll look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom