My 8800GT and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
So first off, the 8800GT is AWESOME! With my old video card I only got 4844 in 3ds06. But with this thing stock (came "superclocked" but that's the lowest stock overclock available) I hit 13884 which was a 650/1625/950. Since then I've overclocked to 710/1762/1050 and I've hit 14824! Oh, and I put the fan at 55% compared to it's stock 29%. Can I go further or is that bad? Cause even my 7800GT had only like 45% fan speed. I really want to break 15000. So, I have a few questions.

I'm seeming to hit a wall with my video card overclock. I can't seems to get the core clock to 715/1775 or my video clock to 1060. I know this is a pretty good overclock as it is, but I'd like to go further if possible. I thought possibly my processor is bottlenecking my video card which I doubt. Regardless, I still want to hit 3.6GHz on my processor.

So, I've been trying to get a stable 3.6GHz and I've pushed my CPU voltage as far as 1.43125v but 3ds06 crashes. Now it doesn't BSOD or just restart, it gives me the error where it give the option to "Send an Error Report" or not. Does that mean I still need to push the voltage further? I had 3.4GHz stable at 1.37500v so I didn't think I needed to go significantly further to hit 3.6GHz. When and if I ever do hit 3.6GHz I'll first see the point difference in 3ds06, and then I'll see if I can push my video card a little further.

IMO.. i would say... dont go over 1.5 for 24/7 use.. thats just how i feel.. suicide run... yeah what the heck, but for everyday.. 1.5 i think is a good place to stop...

Ok, thanks guys.
Where do I go on the Futuremark ORB website to get the link so I can show you guys my result and post it on the 3ds06 thread?

So, I've been trying to get a stable 3.6GHz and I've pushed my CPU voltage as far as 1.43125v but 3ds06 crashes. Now it doesn't BSOD or just restart, it gives me the error where it give the option to "Send an Error Report" or not. Does that mean I still need to push the voltage further? I had 3.4GHz stable at 1.37500v so I didn't think I needed to go significantly further to hit 3.6GHz. When and if I ever do hit 3.6GHz I'll first see the point difference in 3ds06, and then I'll see if I can push my video card a little further.

I hope your testing stability with orthos/Prime95...just because you pass 3dmark06 without crashing does not mean your CPU is stable.

I've been running my CPU over 1.5v for the past few days without any problems at all...temps are still low as well. My cpu is at 26 right now as I type this.

I don't believe one has to be Orthos/Prime95 "stable" to be classified as such. Stable to me is my computer doing what I need it to without crashing. It doesn't have to handle an extremely CPU intense program.

For example, my Trans Am can go 160MPH. Do I ever go that fast? No. Is that more than enough for me? Yes. Is it enough for NASCAR? Definitely not. But it needs to be able to go 70-80mph with no problems and maybe 120-160mph sometimes for fun. I don't need 200+mph.

Metal, there is a huge difference between 1.5v on an e6600 and a q6600. I was idling at close to 50C at 1.475V on my q6600.

I don't believe one has to be Orthos/Prime95 "stable" to be classified as such. Stable to me is my computer doing what I need it to without crashing. It doesn't have to handle an extremely CPU intense program.

For example, my Trans Am can go 160MPH. Do I ever go that fast? No. Is that more than enough for me? Yes. Is it enough for NASCAR? Definitely not. But it needs to be able to go 70-80mph with no problems and maybe 120-160mph sometimes for fun. I don't need 200+mph.

That's true that really all it needs to be able to do is what you want it to, however some people consider a failed orthos a "false/fake" OC. Whatever you want man. I'd rather know that my CPU will be stable no matter what or how much it is doing...gives me peace of mind I guess. I've also heard that pushing your CPU with orthos can give more OCing ability.

EDIT @ veedubfreak: Why would you put your voltage at 1.5 if your stable at 1.35...and is your 3.6 OC orthos stable at 1.35? Cuz I find that amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom