muting the alarm that goes off on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should be able to press escape to get out. Control Alt Delete would get you out too. You won't get stuck in the BIOS. Your first post says that one of your fan's speeds is 0. I'd unplug fans from the main board while the computer is running to figure out which fan is fan0 and fan1. If fan0 is the fan on your processor, I'd get it replaced immediately.

got the BIOS stuff:
All Celsius
target tepmp 50c
smart fan target 0c
case open warning Disabled
Warning temperature 70 c
system temperature 37c
cpyu temperature 66C
system fan 0RPM
cpu fan speed 3154RPM

If 66 is cpu temp, no wonder the 70 degree alarm is going off. I would at the least remove cpu and hs/fan, clean out well (can vacuum the hs when it is removed, or use compressed air to dispel dustbunnies and hair etc. Then clean off the thermal paste and reapply quality (arctic silver etc) thermal compound. Quite likely the hs is clogged, the fan may need 2 or 3 drops graphite bearing lube, and the original thermal compound is dried out...appears either system fan is not installed, or not running. MOST cpu fans operate at higher rpm's(around 5000), although not always.

buy some Arctic Silver 5, and a good CoolerMaster or Zalman heatsink and fan. I just fixed a guys comp that kept restarting on him and it was because of the cpu overheating. changed the paste and hsf and it was running 10-15C cooler.

if dont want to buy a new heatsink, buy a can of air and blow out all the dust inside each fin of the heatsink

yeah i had same problem a few times mate. I got a sure fix. Screw dusting etc, unplug your cpu fan from the cpu fan slot, and plug it in another fan slot on the mobo. I betcha it works! lol

plant said:
yeah i had same problem a few times mate. I got a sure fix. Screw dusting etc, unplug your cpu fan from the cpu fan slot, and plug it in another fan slot on the mobo. I betcha it works! lol

how do you do that? do you have pics to describe?

Most mobos have multiple fan headers BUT the cpu fan header reports the fan to the system, which may fail to boot without a CPU fan connected to correct pins. The auxilary, psu, sytem fan header usually right beside the cpu one.

Do it right, check fan, clean hs and lube or replace the fan. Change the thermal compound. Anything else is asking to repeat the problem.

There is a REASON its overheating, and just plugging same clogged hs/failing fan into another header is not a fix imo.... ;)

But if you are not confident in your skill, or are asking for pics on the above tip, maybe you should have someone perform this required maintenance for you. Any power user is going to do this periodically, neglecting which risks frying the cpu.

I ALWAYS install filters and design case airflow with slight amount positive case pressure to reduce dust buildup, but even then eventually it impedes cooling. Adding some sort of filter media to the front bezel is simple enough.

Okay, to be honest, I would suggest that you take your computer into a repair shop, as you do not seem to know much about computers.

There is nothing wrong with this, as they are very complicated, but a person of your knowledge should not be removing the processor from your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom