MULTIPLIER LOCK!! Oh noes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Grrr.. PC Wizard tells me that my CPU multiplier is locked!! And I knew this from before, but I was just ignorant as to why when I put the multiplier up in BIOS, it would always reset back to what it was.

This is my pc, in all its crappiness, an HP Pavilion. My motherboard is an Asus P4B-LA. From what I heard, I can use the P4B-MX BIOS for my mobo. I've also heard that doing this will unlock a lot of features such as having my well deserved CPU multiplier. Is this true? And what does removing and changing the BIOS on my mobo mean? Will I have to reformat my HDs and re-install XP?

intel multiplier's are locked on the proc. The motherboard has nothing to do with it. Only thing a new motherboard would do is to open up your FSB controls

locki433 said:
intel multiplier's are locked on the proc. The motherboard has nothing to do with it. Only thing a new motherboard would do is to open up your FSB controls

yeah, ok. I noticed when I was trying to use GlockGen that I wasn't able to overclock through FSB, so you're saying if I flash BIOS and get the MX version for my mobo, I might be able to have that functionality... ok. Let me clarify my understanding. If say my FSB is clocked @ 100Mhz, and I have a multiplier of 16, I get 1.6 Ghz. If I crank up my FSB to say, 120Mhz, then I'd have 1.9Ghz, about. Ok... so I'll do that, but is there pros and cons in comparing FSB OCing and multiplier OCing?

Oh, one more thing. I do actually see the multiplier option in BIOS, and it's not grayed off. But no matter what I set it to, it doesn't affect anything at all.

(thanks for the help btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom