The Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanToast

Banned
so i was reading through some threads, and i noticed that some people claim that they can reach a higher HTT frequency when turning down the multiplier. how is this possible? would someone mind explaining how the multiplier works? how can it be beneficial when overclocking?

thx a lot everyone... the users at this forum are the best.

on boards and CPU's that are 1000HTT if you turn the HTT multiplier from 5x to 4x giving you 800HTT instead of 1000 you then have more headroom to turn up the CPU HTT higher than 200. Of course the most beneficial use of turning the CPU HTT past 200 is of course if you have RAM that can also go above 200, otherwise you're basically upping the clock speed without real benefitting results.

Whats the point of having the CPU HTT at 250 if the RAM can't communicate that fast and ultimately the system has a bottleneck. Albeit if you have it at 250 then 4x 250 will give you back your original 1000HTT for the board.

I'm not 100% sure on the K8 boards though how the extra HTT effects them. I'm pretty sure the LTD bridge and/or NB is what would need extra voltage and cooling if you kept the HTT multi at 5x and proceeded to go above 1000HTT because that's going beyond what the board is capable of thus other things like the chipset and Hypertransport bridge (which I believe is the LTD) would need that extra voltage for stability and cooling.

Make sense?

one more quick question...

is the HTT multiplier different from the CPU multiplier?

thx a lot nubius! :)

Yeah it is. The HTT multiplier is refering to the overall motherboard 'FSB' if you will but of course it's not called that I'm just using that as reference.

That's the 'hypertransport' multiplier

Basically just another addition to the board with a seperate voltage and multiplier. Almost like a CPU I suppose.

But yeah the HTT multi = boards total HTT

CPU Multi = Total CPU Clock speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom