most programs open at once...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
To the dual core owners mostly....just wondering, how many do you normally have opened or what is the most programs you've ever had opened before it starts to get shaky. If you have pics you'd like to share that would be cool. Well for me I can't do much since my cpu is crappy and it's not a dual. The most I usually do is internet browsing, music, burn dvds, torrent, and aim.

I usually can run DVD encoding plus downloading plus playing guild wars or BF 2 flawlessly without lag, however you will be required to affinity the programs to a core using task manager in that sense or the DVD encoding likes to try to take over both cores. It is simple to affinity a program, only annoying thing is every time you open the program you have to redo it, it is in task manager when you right click on a process.

Anyways, I love my dual core, it was actually encoding a DVD running a scan on norton( yes I know, ick) and playing on WoW when I first got it, granted that did cause some slow down because dual core or not that is ALOT of cpu power being used.

I can open Photoshop, word, nero, media player, msn, and internet explorer all together with no lag. It takes about 1-2 seconds to open everything and load everything.

ya.. i feltl ike being crazy one day.. so i opened 68 internet exploreres.. it didnt let me open anymore because it was using all the memory... haha

anyway, on to a serious note, i'm usually playing games with windows media player, while downloading something, with aim in the background, and either photoshop or illustrator minimized

I have a single thread CPU, but..

I usually have windows media player, AIM, MSN, Xfire, Firefox, Photoshop or video editing programs, and teamspeak.

I don't know if that's good or not, but I don't lag.

JoshSB said:
I usually can run DVD encoding plus downloading plus playing guild wars or BF 2 flawlessly without lag, however you will be required to affinity the programs to a core using task manager in that sense or the DVD encoding likes to try to take over both cores. It is simple to affinity a program, only annoying thing is every time you open the program you have to redo it, it is in task manager when you right click on a process.

Anyways, I love my dual core, it was actually encoding a DVD running a scan on norton( yes I know, ick) and playing on WoW when I first got it, granted that did cause some slow down because dual core or not that is ALOT of cpu power being used.

You can write a .BAT file to set the affinity when you start the program.

what commands would be used? I'm getting a dual core and I'd like to set it up so that all my games run off a certain core and certain programs run off the other.

Also, do I have to make a bat file for each program? or can I have one that states the values for each program to make it easier and just start it when system boots?

A-mak said:
what commands would be used? I'm getting a dual core and I'd like to set it up so that all my games run off a certain core and certain programs run off the other.

Also, do I have to make a bat file for each program? or can I have one that states the values for each program to make it easier and just start it when system boots?

No.. the way it would work is you make a .BAT file for a game. Say, Battlefield 2. Ok so when you clicked, say, "BF2.BAT" it would launch your BF2 with the affinity set to CPU 0 or 1, whichever.

I have no idea how to do it, but I'm pretty sure you can. I've heard of a few people that have done it. Google it or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom