hello,

i'm intending on building an extremely powerful gamer / server pc and i
wanted to get some info as to how much power i will need to feed this
beast.

the parts are as follows:

Ebuyer Achilles Ach-bl Case-body Blue Atx Case No PSU
Zalman CNPS7700-CU 120mm Super Flower Cooler AMD and P4
LG GSA4160 DL 16x DVD R/RW/RAM IDE Burner - OEM Beige
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB DDR3 AGP8X Graphic Card with DVI / TV-Out & VIVO
Maxtor 7Y250M0 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM 8MB
DABS Value 17" TFT Slim 1280x1024 TCO99 (actually an LG tft)
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum-54G Mainboard S939 nForce3 250Ultra,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-DDR
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 / 1MB / 2600Mhz / Socket 939 / Processor
Akasa Paxpower Ultra Quiet 460w ATX2.0 PSU (blue LED)
Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x 512) 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2 (2-3-2-6-1) DIMM
Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x512) 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2 (2-3-2-6-1) DIMM

yup, that is a 1TB hdd (raid-0 when i buy n' build it) and 2 gigs of ram
(and its BLUE :D ), all in a big blue case.

i've also heard some rumours that windows xp only supports a 256kb
on chip cache (but no worries there - i'm linux all the way, good old slackware :cool: ), and that the fx series don't handle DirectX9 well, and just
to check, is the amd fx-55 chip compatible with non registered ram, and
the biggest factor of all - is there REALLY enough power to supply all
the components?

You want an extremely powerful system? Match these specs!

It will cost more than $3,460.75 though! ;)

wow...why do you need a terabyte of HDD space? That's overkilll and a waste of money unless you have a good reason lmao. some people can take advantage of that much space, but 1TB of HDD space will definetly slow down your access/transfer times, and if you cant use it it's a waste. what's it for?

same with memory, 2GB is overkill unless you have a good reason for using it. a gaming rig (even the MOST extreme) will NOT need 2GB of RAM currently. a Server, yes it can use that much, but it has to be in a certain and very demandng environment. what will you be using this server for?

and your rumors of XP not handling more than 256kb is a complete lie lmao. the barton im on has 640kb total cache, and the newer chips have over 1mb...dunno where you heard that stuff. Linux is great if you cna work with is, a few of my computers ran RedHat a while ago. my dad decided to go witk 2K3 though lately.

I'd suggest 2 powersupplies, or a dual output or something.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-101-110&depa=0
something like that...

y not put more into your vid card and make it sli if your goin all out? i mean might as well and just have like 500gb worth of hd

Echo_ said:
y not put more into your vid card and make it sli if your goin all out? i mean might as well and just have like 500gb worth of hd

yah SLi would kick butt. I can;t even fill up a 20GB drive myself lmao.

Dude, he's buildong a server so 2gigs of memory and a terabyte of storage are in no way a waste, I know someone else who was building a server PC and he went all out, had nearly two and half terabytes of storage and 3gigs of RAM.

I would say that dual core, once they become availible, will be the better choice for a server, but that's not what he's asking, so I won't get into detail.

I do like the idea of having two 12v rails, but I don't think 480watts will cut it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-153&depa=0

The following is a really good PSU in my opinion, you're looking at a PSU that has high output, a decent amount of rails, plus you'll want a lot of current on all of your rails. This thing delivers, no questions asked.

Well, if he wants to use it as a server, that will knock it out for gaming. Server will eat your CPU cycles.

FX-55 does well in DX9 and windows can suppport alot of l2 cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom