Monitor Problem - Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am currently having problems running most games. My monitor turns off/goes into stand-by, only way to fix it is to unplug/restart the computer.

I think my card is overheating, on the desktop while idle, my GPU temperature is 70C, I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Games ive tried - Half Life 2, Raven Sheild, MOH:AA, Far Cry, Battlefield.

Out of all these only MOH:AA worked, well I played it for 20 minutes. Which is good compared to the 30 seconds avg. with other games!

With Half life 2 the monitor goes when I actually start playing i.e. just after the G-man stops talking.

This is really quite annoying, I want to rule out that its a hardware problem untill I try everything to do with software.

When I have a lower Refresh Rate,60Hz it usually lasts about a minute say, but when I have it 85herts it goes instantly, just about. Also when I have it on really low graphics it lasts a bit longer, on Far Cry I got to the aircraft carrier part then the monitor went.

Current Spec:

3.0Ghz Intel P4
1024mb DDR PC3200 RAM
P4S800 motherboard
Geforce 6800 LE version

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ciaran

One thing to try that is easy is playing your game with the side pannel off of your case. This will allow for better air flow and you can see if it is a cooling issue. Once you determine it is a cooling issue you can figure out how to get better cooling in your case.

Hi,

I have tried this. I played Half Life 2 in a window mode so I could see the temperatures I got it down to 54C before playing and then it went up to 60C and it crashed then. So i think that shows its not heat, but im not sure.

Thanks for replying.

Ive only got one other fan apart from Heatsink fan and one the graphics card. Is there a way I can check the temperature on the CPU? The only way ive noticed is in the BIOS, but thats no use if i want to check when playing a game or under heavy load.

I am going to buy additional fans, but where do I plug them into? I only noticed one connection on my motherboard and thats used by the fan I currently have!

I have heard of PCI fans that go underneath a graphics card but where else can fans go.

Cheers

You can monitor your cpu temp with a program called speedfan or motherboard monitor 5. If you have an asus motherboard it comes with software to monitor the temps and more.

Where is the one case fan you have now?

You should have a intake fan at the front of your case, an exaust fan at the rear of your case. And if you want to make a hole in the side of your case you can put an intake fan over you pcu or your video card. Its not a bad idea to put more fans in or cut out places for more.

The one I have is at the rear. I have an ASUS mobo and I only got the drivers with it. Can you download these programs?

I think this video card is broken anyway, I tried it in another computer same problem but it has never happened on the desktop or doing anything else other than playing games.

If this card is broken, is it just useless? Ive never heard of video card repair!

I am going to get a new case, the one I have now was designed way bak. Theres no vents really.

Thanks

Geforce 6800 LE. I will probably sell this as faulty maybe. I will have a look at the trade forums, but I think these forums are based in America, im in Scotland.

I did actually get the software, didnt realise it was caled Asus Probe! It turns out my power supply fan isnt even doing anything, well when I went to monitor it stayed on ORPM.

I need a new PSU also then.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom