Modding the GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
So I just invested in an NV Silencer, because the stock HS isn't worth crap. I've noticed that on the Ti series the actual core is recessed within the black plastic outting. I need to shave that down, or lap the gpu to get the absolute best performance. Does anyone know if there are any electronic components under, or inside the plastic coating. I was either going to use a razor to slice it away, or lap the whole thing. Which do you think would be the best approach?

I used a razor to scrape away the edges of the blackness. I will admit, it was highly dangerous, but it did help alot.
I've chosen not to lap because after 15 minutes of scratching, I noticed the core coming through on the center. So I suppose I am going to have to live with it.
What do you think I should do?

nvidia1.jpg

I was just worried about putting too much paste on. I know that too much is just as bad as not enough. So having less than before should also help the heat dissapation process.
I mainly wanted to know if that outer plastic ring will come off, but apparently not.

Perhaps they had the middle raised for a reason....that's where the center of the core is...now that you've sanded away at it, now I'm wondering if the core is now below that of the ring in the picture, so then in turn you've worsened your heat dissipation

Oh, no, the core is deeper than the black ring. I razored down the ring, but aparently the core isn't perfectly flat, so the edges of the actal chip are starting to show.
My worry now is that I didn't make the entire thing level, so the cooler might contact at only one point. I suppose though, thats better than not touching the core at all. :)

its too bad they dont make exchangable GPU's, i think it could have a pretty big market, the only real problem being slower memory running with a fast gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom