MOBO missing prong in a jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
My friend has just recently built a computer, however, although he has all the necessary parts for the computer to function, the power only turns on for about a second and a half. The busy light turns on, but the power light does not. The fans on the side panel and the processor fan works, but also shut off when the power dies as well. The only way for to get it to turn on again is to unplug it entirely and reinsert the cord.

He played with his motherboard jumpers for a while. He found out which ones supplied power to the motherboard, which ones activate the LED lights (Power on light and Busy Light) but the power still shorts out after a quick moment. There are no monotone beeps coming from the motherboard to signify that it is functioning, so there isn't even a POST. He left, and I decided to take a look at it. I should take my camera and take a shot of the jumpers on the mobo. I think there is a prong missing for the Power Supply in the mobo jumper. Some of the jumpers have 2 and 3 prongs. This one has one prong, and a hole where another is supposed to be. I believe that to be the problem. Everything else seems to be connected properly. My first guess to this problem would be the power supply, however, I need to figure out if this prong is supposed to be missing (dumb question I know) or if its the power supply box mounted in the tower. As soon as I get the chance, I will post pictures of it here. Thanks a bunch, but if you can answer my question which what information I have posted here, that would be great too.

I forgot to mention. I'm almost sure that this is the problem. I dont want him to have to buy a whole brand new mother board, as this one is brand new but his dumb.... didn't keep the reciept. Is there somewhere to buy prongs to replace it? It appears that it would slide right in the whole if we got a new one, or maybe even make a substitute out of something from home. I dont want to risk it if I need something specific.

The motherboard isnt getting enough power, happens when you dont plug in your 4 pin square molex

We looked at the mobo, and found the 4 pin molex. However, it still doesn't work. Power doesn't even turn on for a moment like we did before. We removed the LED lighting and such, thinking maybe that was causing a drain, but it still didn't work either.

We hit a point when we plugged in the molex, the fans immediately turned on, the side and processor fans. The computer was not on however, and the fans kept running. Something else appears to be the case.

I think that you should try testing the power supply in a different computer just to see if it's not the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom