MKmods.. Case Gallery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
The ModFather

Default MKmods.. Case Gallery

I was on here quite a while ago and honestly cant remember why I wandered away. Aspire mentioned that he had a work loge here and when I stopped by I notice I had 242 posts, lol..

Well the last couple of years have been good to me so I will pass on a few of the mods I have done.

Here is an Ultra Aluminus I did

This is an Antec Atlas Server case. I flipped the mobo (fake BTX) and made a special PS for it

Here are a few SFF cases I designed. They are small enough to completely fit inside a Qpack case using ATX mobos with SLI

This one was made from Perforated alum and CarbonFiber

One of the reasons for the lack of visible wiring (I cheat, lol)

Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: MKmods.. Case Gallery

Welcome back markkleb!!!

Hopefully you'll stick around.

Awesome job on those mods. And so clean too.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
The ModFather

Thanks. I cant remember why I left (hope it wasent because I was Banned? )
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

haha. so do you just sodder the wires to the back of the mobo? also is it hard/dangerous to do? cause I wouldn't mind taking a stab at doing that with my setup.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Ah, I didn't notice that. I would like to take a stab at that too. Mind putting up a tutorial?

lol...And you didn't cheat. That's the beauty of modding.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
The ModFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
Ah, I didn't notice that. I would like to take a stab at that too. Mind putting up a tutorial?

lol...And you didn't cheat. That's the beauty of modding.
I re designed a PC Power & Cooling PS for the little red mod. I was all excited how cool it worked and when I showed the Co. they freaked..(they didnt want others to get the idea you could disassemble a PS, liability stuff)

PM me and I will pass on a few tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
haha. so do you just sodder the wires to the back of the mobo? also is it hard/dangerous to do? cause I wouldn't mind taking a stab at doing that with my setup.
I have done it many times (screwed up once, poor DFI Expert mobo) it does take a good knowledge of soldering.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i've done soldering before ( couldn't spell it to save my life. lol) and I know how to do it. just put down some of the stuff that clears off the metal, and then just solder the wire to the back of the 24-pin power slot with a bit of the metal wire.

anything more to it then that?

also what did you do to the psu?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
The ModFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
i've done soldering before ( couldn't spell it to save my life. lol) and I know how to do it. just put down some of the stuff that clears off the metal, and then just solder the wire to the back of the 24-pin power slot with a bit of the metal wire.

anything more to it then that?

also what did you do to the psu?
Here are my soldering tips (Not gonna help ur chances at a RMA so be careful)
first tip is get a soldering station,
This is the one I got
Amazon.com: Weller Soldering Station, WLC100, 120V, 40W: Home Improvement
makes things so easy
easy to adjust power of soldering iron
place to put it while between soldering
changeable tips are really handy for small work

also get a tip cleaner
Soldering Iron Tip Cleaner
the fancy tips have a coating and if you sand or file them it wrecks them.

Than some rosin core solder.

I clean the part I am going to solder with lacquer thinner than a small nylon brush on the dremel (careful not to grind the surface of the mobo)

Than I take the soldering tip and add just a tiny bit to the contacts on the back side of the mobo first.

Than I put a bit of soder to the tips of all the wires (just a bit)

That I touch the wire to the contact, heat it with the soldering iron for just 1 or 2 secs and voila.

Clean the tip after every soldered joint, if the tip is dirty it takes a lot longer to solder the joint and that can overheat the mobo and mess up.

PS try it on a cheap mobo first, I am so fricken sad I wrecked my DFI Expert mobo.

As to what I do to the PSs, basically I re design the outputs to match up with my comp.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i'm still a bit confused on what you do with the psu ha.

and thanks for the soldering tips. i don't know if i'm gonna try it, but if i can find some old decrepit board i'll try it out for sure

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

I'm trying it on a spare socket 370, I have knockin' around.

I'm sure with the PSU, he takes off the end cover, and separates the wires. Unless I'm missing something.

Closed Thread