METADATA defragging problem......

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeico

Baseband Member
I use PerfectDisk 2008 to defrag, and it seems like the analysis always shows heavy fragmentation of METADATA - requiring an off-line defrag. If I defrag every 2 days or so (just to try to see what's going on), it consistently shows approx. 31% fragmentation of the METADATA.

Any idea why this is happening?

Am I in the wrong forum with this question? No responses. Please advise.

Why use a 3rd party app to defragment your drive? Windows comes with it's own tool. Try using that, and if it reports that the same data is having the same issue, then you do have an actual problem. If it sorts the issue out, then you know that you're just using incompetent 3rd party software.

Perfectdisk 2008 does a way better job at de-fragmenting than windows defrag. Not only will it Smart defrag your files, but also your pagefile, MFT, and Metadata.

When Perfect Disk says it need to be off-line to defrag the Metadata, what it means is that it can't be in the Window's environment. In the Defragmentation tab, put a check mark in the box under "Boot Time" next to the drive who's Metadata you want to defrag. Then hit the start button at the bottom. A pop-up will ask you if you want to defrag next time you boot up, answer yes. It will then ask you if you want to restart.

When your computer reboots it will perform the defragmentation automatically.

Then run perfectdisk again to check your drive status.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom