Memory speed related to Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wease

Solid State Member
I'm trying to do my research before overclocking my Q6600. I've read that memory speed is related to the FSB speed of my CPU. So if I have DDR2 memory, my memory speed is 2xFSB. The default FSB speed of the Q6600 is 266 Mhz (9x multiplier). I currently have 4GB (1Gb x 4 sticks) of PC 6400 800Mhz memory installed. Does this mean that my 800 Mhz memory is actually only running at 533 Mhz based on my FSB. So If I'm able to overclock my Q6600 with a FSB of 333 (333 x9 = 3.0 Ghz) that my memory will be running at 667 Mhz? If this is true, it seems that my memory will never really run at it's full potential of 800 Mhz because I'd have to overclock my CPU FSB to 400Mhz which according to my research would be a world record.

Is this where the memory to FSB ratio comes in to play? My assumptions above would be correct if my ratio remains at 1:1? If so, can I specify any FSB to memory ratio I want?

There are many different FSB to RAm Speed ratios that can be set through your CMOS Setup, most good motherboards will offer you many different ratios.

If for whatever reason you cannot overclock to 3.6 Ghz, you can set the RAM ratio higher so the memory will run at 800 Mhz or even 1066 Mhz if you buy that speed, or whatever speed you buy. If for example you are only able to get a clock of 3.2 Ghz and decide on a FSB to RAm ratio of 1:1 you can make the CPU run 8X400 instead of 9x334.

At any rate you will see all the different ratios you can choose from when you purchase the motherboard and screw around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom