Melted Chip or Heatsink...

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow man. thats looks bad. it looks like somekind of other material was between the cpu and heat sink. are you sure you didnt forget to take off the palstic film off the heatsink thermal pad. that is what might have made the wired looking stuff on the heatsink and cpu. plastic would melt at those temps.

Yeah I am pretty sure I took it off. I remember looking at it and thinking it was just some kind of decorative peice (I know, real stupid). Also, this has to be what keep heating up the CPU and then shutting my PC down. All the fans are working properly and this is the only component that looks fried and relates to the overheating message.

you should try to get rid of that stuff on the heatsink and cpu. when you've done that, you should apply some AS5 and let her rip. it should work. if it doesnt, youshould get a new CPU.

Hey, it isn't going to be bought for anything, Like said above, try it after cleaning it correctly and apply some new thermal paste, and if need be get a new Heatsink. I doubt the chip is fried, as Nubius said - autoshutdown. Just make sure the next time that baby starts up you have a working Heatsink and enough of a good thermal compound on the cpu.

Yeah that's all thermal pad gunk, although the plastic theory in that case would seem correct. There is no actual metal being melted there.

CPU looks crazy

Alright guys, thanks.

I really hope that's all I need to do. I was hoping to use this machine for all my work but the fact that it keeps overheating and shutting off... anyhow thanks again.

I dont know how hot cpu's can get but my cousin forgot to turn on his fan and the Heat Sink got so hot when he touched it he burned himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom