may be starting a case mod bussiness. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Camera junky

Default may be starting a case mod bussiness.

well my friend has a nice wood working/ metal working shop so i may start moddign cases with him for some extra money on the side. il be modding my old tyhermal take s viking as an experiment. also once i get my air brush this summer il be able to do some nice stuff. here is the link to my crappy old case. [TWEAKNEWS] - THERMALTAKE SVIKING BA400BWS BLACK COMPUTER CASE REVIEW - PAGE 1 im gonna make a custom side panel aswell as front panel do some cutting inside on the mobo tray to make it lighter. paint the chassy black.the only thing il keep is the temp lcd. il put two 120m fans in front and 2 ontop and maybe a 25cm fan on the side. if it comes out nice il keep it put my current rig in it, and then modd my apollo and sell it. for the apoolo modding i was thinking of making a custom panel infront with lapped steel or aluminum down to a mirror shine, id do it myself of course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup
Default Re: may be starting a case mod bussiness.

eh, I dont care unless you have some prior work up first hehe

but... how do you plan on making a front panel!?

full fabrication or just an extreme modification?

that panel looks like its going to be hard to mod... you could try filling it with bondo and sanding it so its just a flag piece

Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
lolwut?

well amd, the cost versus the payout would be negative. for **** big good looking mods, hundreds of hours are required. And the cost of plexi, time, aluminum, and such would definitely outweigh the proceeds. Ive spent over a hundred on mine and ive barely done anything.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedplay View Post
well amd, the cost versus the payout would be negative. for **** big good looking mods, hundreds of hours are required. And the cost of plexi, time, aluminum, and such would definitely outweigh the proceeds. Ive spent over a hundred on mine and ive barely done anything.
I disagree, you can make some nice money doing simple mods... like fabricating case windows or doing custom jobs on order with fairly little work

you won't be getting any contracts from businesses like mnpc or kikboxes does, but you probably can get some people to contract you or buy things from you

however... you need to understand that modding is a lot harder then it may seem at first glance

just because you have the tools available doesn't mean you'll want to spend the money (for supplies as tainted mentioned) and the time required...

as bill said in one of his videos, you also need a vision (i think thats what he said)... you need to be able to make unique mods unless you plan on just making basic cases with more fan holes etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Camera junky

im gonna get some sheet metal, or grate material. he has all the tools needed to do so. also that is just a door i could takke it off if i wated to. and i plan on doing simple nice looking stuff, and time doesnt matter to me summer break is comming up btw lol. i guesse you guys will have a better idea after i mod my thermaltake case. also my friends dad who will help us and teach us a few things did auto body work in colledge, and my friend is in a steel working class right now. all i really do is the designing hes gonna do the work, il help and learn at the same time tho. amd as you herd, i was thinking of a polished front panel for one mod.

intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
cuPWNED

then you will need to modify that bezel even more if you take the door off...

there is a ridge on the top which will buldge out off the case if you take the door off... if you saw that off then you'll need to fabricate a cover for it (not that hard I guess...)

once you do take the door off, there will be hidge spots or other attaching devices that will look very weird.

buy a nice cheap case that has no door unless you plan on specifically modding the existing door because its hard to modify or fabricate extravagent cases.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Camera junky

ive striped teh case before, im making a custom front bezel. out of steel or grate material like mk has done. anyway il get to work on it as soon as ****ible, and post up results i nthe coming weeks.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd gt player View Post
ive striped teh case before, im making a custom front bezel. out of steel or grate material like mk has done. anyway il get to work on it as soon as ****ible, and post up results i nthe coming weeks.
its called mesh xD lol

in his case, the job was easier because the panel was a flat stock one that he just cut... like I mentioned yours can't be done like that unless you wan't to have rounded areas? cut out large parts of the design?

your choice

like I said, bondo + paint = decent
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

yeah, bill has a video up on how to make money modding and he makes it very clear, it aint easy. essentially a lot of little jobs or a few big ones and those take time to get, you need a reputation to get the $$$ in the front door.

But hey, you have to start somewhere and these are skills that carry over to other things even if you don't make any money.

Closed Thread