max oc on my e6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Is it normal to not be able to find anything stable on an e6600 (L649G) above 3.6GHz? I've run it at 1.60v (1.53-54 after vdroop) on watercooling with temps in the low-mid 50s. QDR FSB is at 1600, sync mode so the RAM is at DDR800 (2.1v, 5-5-5-12-2T-22), NB at 1.536v (not much vdroop on that; cooled with a TT extreme spirit II)

Is my stepping to late to get any relatively decent OC? It seems raising vcore after 1.55 doesn't do very much (although it allows orthos to run a little stabler). 1.60 is about as high as I want to go.. any higher and temps are too hot for me :p

seeing 4.0 GHz's on air dissapoints me as I cant even get 3.6 on water. I think i might be doing something wrong, but idk. So thats why im asking :\

I'm using the same motherboard as you. Have you disabled anything that you don't use? Like RAID, unused SATA or IDE ports? That's what I did, as this can prevent any specific conflicts while overclocking. Also make sure that the EIST and C1E feature, in CPU config is disabled. For me, I have everything disabled in the CPU config menu, except for the Executable Disable Bit. I think that's what it's called. Also what is your BIOS version? I'm using 0401, and I've heard that it's the most overclockable BIOS version, of this motherboard...but I do want to check out the new 0608, that just released.

I've gotten my e6400 to 3.6 before on 1.55v but not stable, and I didn't want to go higher than that. Right now I'm stable at 3.2, with the vcore on 1.43v, NB on 1.56v, and RAM on spec's 1.920v.

Hmm, I will try those things, thanks. I use RAID however :p
I'm using 0607. I might look at 0608 (although I think they're the sameish. 0607 was a beta), then I might go back 0401.

Will post results.

guide b1gapl linked said:
E6600 - x6800 and Quads work the 1500 FSB area slowly. The 1600 FSB and above may not be achievable for you ( depends on your chip)
Is it referring to e6600's thru x6800's in general? Or with this board?

I think it's talking about those range of CPUs, with that board specifically.

So, different board will overclock the same exact chip differently? I didn't know that.. I figured for instance this board was stable at up to about 490-500 FSB (tested), then it would overclock a CPU the same as any other mobo out there that was also stable at high FSBs.
Am I correct, or do higher end boards actually overclock the same chip better?

Also, for the record, and I don't know if it had to do with a BIOS update or not, although I am running 0608 now, I got my CPU stable at 3.6 at 1.61v with ram at 800 5-4-4-12. I rigged up my radiator a little better to not allow for air escaping through the sides (duck taped the whole thing as to force air through the fins) and I was suprised that in the long run, it actually helped to decrease temps. After a while (before duck taping) I came back inside and to my absolute horror, 55 minutes into Orthos, my CPU was at 68c. I figure it did this after a while when water was heating up after so long. After rigging it better, it's stayed at a steady 55-58 even after 3 or 4 hours of orthos.

Anyway, I'm testing 3611 / ddr 802.6 right now at the same voltage. (taking real baby steps. i want to find the ultimate sweet spot)

Off topic: Do you know of a guide that will explain those advanced memory timings the p5n-e has for tweaking? I want to read up and understand those a little better so I can play with 'em. Y'know the ones I'm talking about... there like 10 of 'em under the Command Rate setting.

wow....I'm going to try 0608, seeing how you're doing with it. I haven't seen a guide for advanced timing tweaking, because a lot say to stay away from it, but I'm sure there is. The only one I touched from there, is the Trc timing, which I set to manufacturer's spec of memory, to 22.

Well I don't know if it's 0608 or not... I've bumped the vcore higher than I ever have before. Orthos failed 8 hours in at 3610 MHz too.. :( Considering it's about 15 degrees cooler today, I might bump the vcore 10mv today. Load temps are mid-high 40s (sometimes touches 51 52) today at 1.61v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom