lowering multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys i dont have a clue what your on about. When i go to clock my pc all you can adjust is the Processor Clock Frequency.. weres the option to adjust the FSB ?. My Multiplyer is on 11x if i make it higher or lower my pc becomes very unsatble.

I clocked my Athlon 2500 1.8GHz to 2.171Ghz, EVEREST Home edition recognises it as a Athlon 3200 Barton now.

Is my CPU any faster now ? i thought i was overclocking but by the sounds of it its FSB that i should be changing.

Thanks

CrazeD said:
You have to understand that by increasing the FSB, you are increasing your RAM as well. Now, if your RAM can handle the higher frequencies, then you should be alright. But if you have like DDR400 there's no way in **** it's going to run 300 x 9. :)

lol no doubt, i know that bro...
i have ddr2 800 and i have to set it down to ddr2 400 speed in my bios so that when i up the cpu clock that much it still stays close to 400mhz (ddr2 800), actually ddr2 400 on my rig is a 1:1 divider, so it runs at 300mhz.
if i could push it past 300 to say, 400... i could leave the ram at ddr2 400 setting and it would run 1:1 with my fsb, ie at 400mhz, perfect. but i cant do it with this amd chip (that would be 3.6 ghz lol which also happens to be the world record for a 4200), so i guess it doesnt really matter.

kman:
amds dont really have a fsb in the terms of intel's fsb. i just use that term because it is easier to explain things that way.
when you change your "cpu external clock", or the number that is multiplied by 11 (which i think in your case would be 197), you are overclocking.
fsb for you would be (the way i'm explaining it) 197mhz.
197mhzx11= 2.17ghz, get it?
so yes your cpu is faster now by 370mhz.
you could change your ram speed and it would help you get a higher overclock. but that is complicated in some instances, so you should read up on it and learn the principle. once you grasp it, it is very easy to make the calculations.
can you raise your multiplier?
if so, try changing it to 12...but lower the fsb, say to 180.
180mhzx12=2.2ghz, then go up in 5mhz increments if thats stable 185, 190, 195 etc.
the reason it gets unstable (i bet) when you raise it is that it is too big a jump to do all at once.
ie. 197x11=2.17ghz but 197x12=2.36, maybe too much in one shot.
the reason it gets unstable when you lower the multiplier (i bet) is that you are overclocking you ram too much, and it is having stablility issues, not your cpu.
good luck! lemme know if i can help.

For the record, AMD's don't have a FSB, it's technically called the HTT (Hyper-Transport).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom