Looking for a new PC under about 2k to fit the following reqs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
3.0 Ghz
1 gig RDRAM
CD-RW
DVD ROM
Nice case w/ window
3/12 floppy of course
Liquid Cooling System (I may have someone overclock it, plus it's just cool. Unless someone can tell me its TOTALLY useless compared to a fan.)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb video card (or if you have a better suggestion)
120 GB Hard Drive
Decent sound system

The PC will be used mostly for music, surfing the web, and very demanding games. I want to be able to burn CD's and files from the web, but I am not an mp3 freak.
Where is the best place to buy the parts if I have someone to build it, where if I don't?
What has the best prices for what? I have been checking out pricewatch.com and my total came to something like $1250.

Thanks ahead of time, posts or PMs appreciated.

Best to buy parts= www.newegg.com
Best to buy prebuit (as far as price)= www.ibuypower.com

I have a computer with those exact specs ready to custom build that ran me $1800 with a new 19inch flat CRT. Minus the CRT It would run around $1500.

Watercooling is nice, but IMO its noooooot needed. Way too much work for a small advantage. Especially if youre running a 3.0, overclocking isnt gonna be that noticable. Nice airflow is plenty.

Ill work on an actual price list and post in awhile.

Thermaltake Xaser III V2420U Case with 420W PSU- $187.00
Lite-On Black DVD-ROM Model XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H- $33.00
Lite On Black 48x24x48x16 CD-RW Model LTC48161H BK- $53.00
Cooler Master JET 7 CPU FAN- $44.99
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive- $5.99
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive- $101.00
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 (x2)- $186.00
Asus nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "A7N8X-E Deluxe"- $115.99
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor- $207.00
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS- $89.00
TYAN RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "G9800 PRO-M"- $290.00

Total= $1312.97

These arent exactly my specs, but its close. And the case I personally dont care for, but its popular and has a decent size PSU. Also, I know you said 3.0Ghz but Im all about the AMD, I say go with that. But if not, just change the CPU and Mobo and the price will be comparable.

Thank you! I really appreciate the help.
Why do you like AMD better? I have one right now, but I am just wondering why you prefer it, maybe I will keep that in mind.

BTW "System specs? Lets just get down to it people:

My penis is bigger than yours." is great.

Summed up the whole idea behind souped up computers, cars, lawnmowers, the whole smash!

I agree with True_Orb, that spec is... well I just kinda sat back in my chair the first time I read it and was like... now that's just original and straight forward... nice lol!

Youre very welcome Orb.

It is somewhat customary to put specs in a sig, but it can be kinda useful. Then you never have to list your specs again. But it obviously becomes a bragging thing. Im actually surprised the TF mods have let me keep it.

Anywho, I prefer AMD chips purely as a matter of experience and comfort. Theres nothing wrong with Intel chips, Ive just always liked my AMD systems better. That eternal debate is purely a preference thing. Nothin more.

But anywho, all those prices were from www.newegg.com so any changes you want made can be. Also, keep in mind an operating system if you dont already have one.

My sig has been pretty customary on the board world so I think I will keep it for now :)

OS will probably be Windows XP. I have that on my current system, can't I use it for the new comp or will it only install to one system?

I believe one license can be used on 3 machines so long as theyre YOUR machines. So it should be okay to install your XP onto the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom