Locked CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
Hey!

I'm trying to OC an old processor that I have. I want to see how far I can get it. I know the basic principles of OC'ing, and I know the risks.

My problem is, when changing any of the CPU parameters in the BIOS; nothings changes. So, for example; I'll change the multiplier from 11.5 [Default] to 12.5. The BIOS shows that the settings have changed, and the computer posts and boots fine. I get on to the desktop, load up CPU-Z and to my surprise; the deafult settings are still in place.

What I'm thinking, is that my CPU is locked, maybe?
Can anybody share any light on my situation?

cpu-z.gif

Thanks!
TMT. :cool:

Yeah, you gotta physically alter the chip to unlock it. And then, it is only unlocked to go down on the multiplier. Instead of 10.5 (or whatever it is) you could only go to 10, or 9.5, or 9, etc... That is so you can lower the multi, but up your FSB more and inherently get a faster system. A system with a 10x multi x 200mhz=2GHz is going to be a little bit slower than a system with a 9 multi x 222MHz=2ghz.

I've found a nice article on how to unlock an AthlonXP CPU!

See: [http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/athlonxp2000oc-01.html]

I think I'll try it! I can't lose! Well... I can, heh. But even if I do, I'll just get an MP 2500+ Barton and OC it to a 3200+. I'm due an upgrade anyway (I'm just messing around to see if I can save my money). I understand that the 2500+ through to the 3200+ use the same core. So, theoretically a 2500+ is a limited 3200+. So I should get a good performance boost at a lower price!

Thanks.

If it all works out, that is. Remember, you can only lower your multi, not raise it. You should get some silver laquer to do it with. That way, if you screw up, you can carefully sand off the bridging and get your stock multi back.

Well the stock multi is 11.5. So, that and lower will be fine. My CPU runs at 133/266 and my memory runs at 166/333. So I'm currently running at an FSB+33 ratio.

My aim is to raise the FSB to 166/333 to create a 1:1 running environment, and in turn lowering the multi to 9.5 (closest to the stock clock-speed). Then after this, I'll slowly increase the multi until I obtain the highest stable OC.

If it all works out, that is. Remember, you can only lower your multi, not raise it.
the hell are you talking about him......just like in that 6800GT thread and mistaking the cores, do some research...these aren't AMD64's we're talking about here.

If he gets an XP-Mobile 2500+ then the multi is completely unlocked...he can raise it up or down.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom