A little OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius, how do I go about setting my mem freq to 400? Its at 200, but is that 400 because its dc? Would this be under my mem freq in the bios, and resulting freq whould be what? (my bios list ^^^ above) I see where to change the agp freq, which i would want to keep at eithet 66, or 60, right, locking the pci and agp?

I was thinking of just ocing the cpu nothing else. So how much should I rase the cpu voltage, and in what increments to the fsb going up or the multiplier?

Thanks again.

Any suggestions on the vcore settings for over clocking? Is there a graph or something that show how much to increas one, with the other?

Thanks

you just gotta raise your FSB by 5MHz increments and when you notice instability up the vcore by .25 I think usually the increments in that are. And yeah you need to lock your AGP at 66 and that'll automatically lock your PCI at 33MHz. There should be an option saying DRAM Timings or something of that nature and your options should be (266,333,400MHz) as the frequency. Or if all you see is (133,166,200) then yeah you want to pick 200

Alright, I understand everything except the DRAM timings.

mem freq - 100%
resulting freq - 200
mem timings - optimal

sdram active prechange delay - 8
sdram ras to cas delay - 4
sdram ras prechange delay - 4
cas latency - 2.5t

This is what is in my bios for the RAM. The options for memory timings are optimal, user defined, and agressive. Under userdefined you can enter your own values for the four lines directly under it. The Memory freq currelty is at 100%, and results in memory freq of 200mhz, I can change that to 200% thus making resulting freq at 400mhz. Is this what I want to do to lock the memory?

I understand that you increase the vcore when increasing the fsb, but if i were to change my multiplier to 11.5 and leave the fsb at 200, would i need to increase the vcore? Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks for the help once again Nubius.

no don't change the percentage. It could simply be that that asus board doesn't have adequate options for your needs here. Are you sure that it says memory frequency and it has a percentage sign next to it? If it says the resulting frequency is 200 then that's how your computer is deciding to display it I guess, because it is DDR ram (DOUBE data rate) so 200x2 = 400MHz

I understand that you increase the vcore when increasing the fsb, but if i were to change my multiplier to 11.5 and leave the fsb at 200, would i need to increase the vcore? Or is this a bad idea?

It's all the same man, OC'ing is OC'ing, what do you think you're doing when you up the multiplier? You're still raising your CPU's normal clock speed which in turn means you would need to increase vcore as you go up. It sounds like you need to do a little more reading on OC'ing. Have you read kangaroo's sticky at the top? Its got insightful guidelines. Don't just jump up your multiplier either. Think about it man, if you have 11x200 = 2.2GHz then what do you think 11.5 is gonna do? 11.5x200= 2.3 because that .5 you added added a straight 100MHz to your CPU's clock speed. You want to increase your speed generally by going up in increments of 5MHz not a 100MHz jump which will happen if you increase your mutliplier by .5 and a 200MHz jump if you go up by one whole point. So that your RAM and AGP don't get overclocked and fried out then yeah raising the multi instead of the FSB will help in that venture if your FSB is already at 200. That 3200+ XP chip isn't the greatest to OC on. the 35w 2400+ XP-M or 2500+ XP can be overclocked to 3200+ speeds pretty easily and are good chips to learn on since they are half the price of the 3200+ but can accomplish that chip's speeds and beyond. I don't know how far you'll go with the 3200+ but that's not saying you can't do it. I'm simply saying be careful, because it doesn't sound like you know a whole lot about what you're doing and it suck to fry any components. After passing 200 FSB everything is gonna be overclocked. That's why you need to lock your AGP Bus too so your graphics card doesn't fry out. Download CPU-Z and it'll tell you to confirm your memory running at 400MHz

Thanks.

I have read the thread at the top of the page on OCing, it helped, but it did not answer all the details of OCing. I have not done it before, and want to make sure that I dont do anything that could fry my components. Its going to be awhile before I upgrade my pc, and I am just wondering how to get a little more life out of them down the road.

I understand how to lock the agp and the pci, and have done so. I understand how the fsb and vcore work. I just needed some clarification on some points. I thank you for that. I'll look into your suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks

I just dled and ran cpu-z

CPU Tab
core speed: 2205.0MHz
Multiplier: 11x
FSB: 200.5MHz
Bus Speed 400.9MHz

Memory Tab
Frequency: 200.5MHz
FSB : DRAM : 1:1

I just dled and ran cpu-z

CPU Tab
core speed: 2205.0MHz
Multiplier: 11x
FSB: 200.5MHz
Bus Speed 400.9MHz

Memory Tab
Frequency: 200.5MHz
FSB : DRAM : 1:1

Perfect :D 1:1 ratio with your FSB and DRAM is exactly what you want to have. That means there's no bottleneck and it's all communicating at the exact same speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom