A little OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I have two OC questions. My system specs are listed below. First, I have looked around in my bios, and I have been unable to find where I would be able to change the fsb, i know where to change the multiplier. Where exactly is it? Second what would I need to oc my vid card? Any software out there that does this? And how far could I push my 9600 in the limits of stability?

Thanks for the help.

It should be in the same place as multiplier under CLOCK FREQUENCIES

I looked in my bios, and did not find anything where i can enter the fsb of my choice. I have the following:

CPU ext freq
CPU freq mult
FSB spread spectrium
AGP spread spectrium
APG freq

I have the cpu ext freq at 200, with the mult at 11 for my 3200+, the fsb spectrium at the default, disabled. the apg spectrium at the default, disabled, and the apg freq at auto.

I dont see where you can enter your own fsb setting like 205 or something. Am i missing something?

Thanks for the help.

I have the same board as you. By default you can choose 100,133,166,200. Just to make it easy,,, everything that says automatic, change it to manual, or user definied, whichever it says. And under external frequency, it will show like 100-200 and you can choose.

Thanks for the help above, it leads to a few more questions.

First this is a list of how my bios looks so far:

cpu ext freq - 200
cpu freq mult setting - menu
cpu freq mult - 11.0x
system performace - user defined
cpu interface - aggressive
mem freq - 100%
resulting freq - 200
mem timings - optimal

sdram active prechange delay - 8
sdram ras to cas delay - 4
sdram ras prechange delay - 4
cas latency - 2.5t

cpu vcore setting - menu
cpu vcore - 1.650v
graphics apeture size - 128mb
apg freq - auto
system bios cacheable - disabled
video ram cacheable - disabled
ddr ref volt - 2.6v
apg vddq volt - 1.5v
agp 8x suppot - enabled
agp fast write capbility - enabled

Now my question is if i increase the fsb to 205, does that effect my ram and agp? I already have my 9600 clocked faster, up 40MHz from the default. What other details do I have to look at from increasing the fsb. Cooling the cpu is not an issue. I have a large hsf, and an 80mm intake from the side of the case, one over the cpu and the agp.

Thanks for all the help.

just slowly raise the fsb (5 mhz or so each time) and make sure it runs stable. if you start playing something and get a memory error u gotta underclock it a bit.

Yeah I wrote a response to this but it timed out and I never wrote it back. The FSB does effect your RAM and video card and everything else in your system for that matter.

When you up the FSB past 200 you are going to be overclocking your RAM, assuming you have PC3200 so you could either loosen the timings to allow the overclock or go in and set your memory frequency at 400MHz and just leave it there which will in turn cause a bottleneck but will work nonetheless.

Your CPU, AGP, and PCI busses are all connected, it has a ratio of CPU:AGP:pCI and with 200FSB the ratio is 6:2:1, point is, the AGP:pCI is always 2:1 - 66:33 Once your comps FSB starts going past 200 then you'll be speeding up your AGP slot bus and PCI Bus and can fry your AGP card and PCI Cards and possibly even hard drives. Your motherboard needs the option to LOCK THE AGP BUS which will inturn automatically lock the PCI Bus too. You don't want the AGP going past 70MHz but even then you're running risk of wearing out the life of it or frying it just maybe it'll happen a week later. Best bet is to have the option to lock the AGP bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom