A little experiment I want to try due to the heat problemsÂ…

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneWolf

Baseband Member
This is going to sound weird but id like to try something different has anyone here ever

wanted to use a really high powered fan to cool a video card say one of the newest ones

with an 80mm fan is that possible or no? I was lookÂ’n at this fan

http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/smartfan/a1357.htm and this is the one id like to use

thereÂ’s a reason for this IÂ’ve tired heat pipes and VGA coolers threes one on it but the

heat wasnÂ’t reduced very much so I was thinkÂ’n about doing something like this thatÂ’s

creative but I would need something to hold it there I figure if it is possible like on the

fan or some thing of the sort how exactly it would be done IÂ’m not so sure of so here I am any thoughts on this?

I guess you could jerry rig it with something... It's really hard to give advice about how to afro engineer that thing without seeing your case and all the little differences inside. But yes, it's definately possible. Anything is possible.

Ryan

I saw a couple of things that may fit your needs:

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html

and

http://www.xoxide.com/3dedge.html

They look like they would work alright, but I haven't had much luck with my PCI slot cooling fans, this may be a little more sturdy.

I have all smart fans installed, see my sig for their sizes. The 80mm is pretty loud since it gets up to 4500-4700rpm, but I have it hooked up to a fan controller which keeps it quiet when needed. They move a ton of air though even if not at full speed.

First question:
What video card is it that you are having problems cooling?

Second question:
What type of VGA coolers have you tried?

Third question:
What type of thermal paste did you use when installing the VGA coolers?

Statement: Too properly cool off a video card "Core" you need to start with the disipation of heat from the "Core" to the heatsink. Then Wisk the heat out and way from the heat sink with a fan or fans.

Having a 80mm jerry-rigged case fan blowing on your videocard isn't going to cool the "core". You need to start with the "core" and work your way outward of the case.

Just blowing a fan over the bare chip will do next to nothing, as without the heatsink it'll heat up really quickly, e.g. in 3 seconds or less. I know this from experience. Secondly, I reccomend the Zalman VF700-Cu VGA cooler if you haven't already tried it. I have this and my temps went down a huge amount.

Wow you guys are the shit itÂ’s the newest NVIDIA card just spent 500 bucks

http://www.nvidia.com/page/7800_partners.html least thatÂ’s what I was told at the store

so I bought it actually was a bit more then 500 but anyways about my system temps I

took the card out right now they are normal highest it gets is probably 38c everything else

is lower then that hard drive etcÂ…the damn video card gets really hot it got up to 75c I

donÂ’t care what inside a case thatÂ’s way to hot right? My CPU hit that we wouldnÂ’t even

be talkÂ’n on these forumsÂ….correct? I mean IÂ’m ok with computers IÂ’m not great but

something has to be done about these coolÂ’n issues and the Zelman tired that it didnÂ’t

make much of a difference about 5c lower was about 70c IÂ’ve tired about every VGA

cooler you can think of and yeah I use artic silver 5 on my products so I figured I use a an

80mm fan or 92mm fan that has really high CFM from anywhere to 80 and up but if thatÂ’s not going to work then what the hell will?

Note: when the cards in the temps for the system heat up but not that much the card is the main problemÂ…

Flyboychuckles that looks really neat does that cool your card really well?

75C is just fine for a video card. It's when you get to 90+ that you start worrying.

LoneWolf - I don't actually have those products, although they do look intersting. I did/do have this: http://www.xoxide.com/fancard.html it decided to stop working after about a month. And from what i have read 75C isn't too bad for a GPU, which is good since i just installed my 6800GT last night and that gets up to around 83C under load.

Hey flyboychuckles I ordered them so ill tell you how they turned out then?

About the card man are you guys serious the newest NVIDIA cards are

suppose to run that hot are all cards now that way or just NVIDIA thatÂ’s

inane IÂ’ve been in 130 degree weather and it sucks ass how could a

computer withstand that is really hot to run under Is that why I read a lot of

people sayÂ’n even if they donÂ’t use water coolÂ’n or liquid coolÂ’n they buy it

because of the heat issues of today? I was talkÂ’n to a guy that said that the

other day he said he never over clocked anything but he started getting

water cooled and getting into liquid cooling because he had so many heat

issues with his brand new computers so is the heat turning up on

everything then? Because I noticed my system even gets pretty warm after

about an hour not that hot but pretty hot but then again it is 100 degrees outsideÂ….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom