litle help with Terms and Olverclocking Voltage Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
I am upgrading my compuer and I need help with these terms...

Couple of questions..

-What is "C1E support" on the BIOS Setup Ttility for Overclocking?

-What is VCore?

-What does increasing your CPU voltage do?

-What are the North and South bridges?

-What is FSB Termination Voltage?

-What is DRAM Voltage?

-What is DRAM Command Rate?

-What is memory timing? [Example 5-5-5-15]

-Can you give me an explination of what increasing the voltage to your computers components does?

NOTE: I realize this post probably should have gone under the overclocking link on the forum selection page....

Whoops....

-What is "C1E support" on the BIOS Setup Ttility for Overclocking?
C1E is a power saving feature for Intel processors. And what it does, is throttle the CPU's speed down, when not in use or idling, consuming less power. The other power saving feature is EIST, and it basically does the same thing, but at an OS level. And it is recommended that you turn these two features off, when overclocking.

-What is VCore?
It is the main voltage control for the CPU.

-What does increasing your CPU voltage do?
Increasing the CPU voltage in terms of overclocking, will make the overclock more stable, by providing more power. But note, that too much will damage the processor, since increasing the voltage, increases heat. And too much heat is a very bad thing for components.

-What are the North and South bridges?
The northbridge is like the main communication center. All the info is passed through here, from the CPU, to the other parts of the computer. It basically handles communication between the major parts. Them being the CPU, RAM, GFX card, and the southbridge.

Now the southbridge is like a second communication center, that handles the peripheral side of things. And that includes everything else actually. Hard drives, optical drives, PCI slots, sound, etc.

And the northbridge ties the southbridge and CPU together, so they all communicate with each other.

-What is FSB Termination Voltage?
This is hard to explain, as it is an advanced voltage setting. But from what I understand, it is a like cut off/regulation control for the FSB voltages. When overclocking to high speeds, data is sent and received at a rapid rate, and there needs to be a control, so it doesn't get out of line. So the termination voltage is implemented to keep it from fluctuating too much.

And from what I read, it does not largely affect overclocking. It's also sort of a trial and error procedure, because the termination voltage is catered to a specific value. And the that specific or perfect value is usually unknown.

I tried my best to explain it. Somebody who understands this term, please post your input, and correct me if I'm wrong.

But as a beginner, you don't really have to worry about it now.

-What is DRAM Voltage?
The main voltage control for RAM.

-What is DRAM Command Rate?

-What is memory timing? [Example 5-5-5-15]
This is a whole subject in itself. So the explanation will be pretty long. This is quoted from a previous reply that I wrote, explaining memory timing:

b1gapl said:
Think of the RAM as a spreadsheet, with rows and columns. And think of the timings, as the time it takes to access those rows and columns.

CAS - Column Address Select
RAS - Row Address Select

Each number represents a different function:

5.....CL - CAS Latency
5.....tRCD - The time between RAS and CAS signals
5.....tRP - The time between switching a row
15...tRAS - The time between activating and deactivating a row.

CL or Cas Latency is probably the most important part for RAM timings. It is time between it's signal and the data available for processing. So the lower the CL, the faster it can send and receive data.

tRCD is the time between a row being selected/activated, and the column in the row being activated, by the CAS signal. In other words, the time between RAS to CAS being accessed.

tRP is the time between accessing different rows. A row has to be activated in order to access the information. And before the RAM can access another row, the row that was just accessed, has to be deactivated. So in order words, the time between accessing one row to another.

tRAS is the time between the memory getting the signal, to access a row.

Command Rate is the time that is needed for the memory to switch over to another chip, to command a signal. So it's like, the chips are a group of people, waiting to be selected and given a command by the group leader.

-Can you give me an explination of what increasing the voltage to your computers components does?
Increasing the voltage, basically increases power provided to your components. But it also increases heat. So there should always be a limit.

NOTE: I realize this post probably should have gone under the overclocking link on the forum selection page....

Whoops....
No problem. Already moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom