Lights! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: that place
Posts: 57
Send a message via AIM to monagi
Default Lights!

So I ordered my new system + a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard. I am lovin the keyboard colors and brightness adjustablilty.

I was curious if there would be a way to rig up the same colored LED lights around the inside of my case in a stylish manner, and be able to adjust said lights with my keyboards own color/brightness adjusters. Any ideas?

Newegg.com - Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Saitek PK02 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys USB Standard Eclipse II Keyboard - Keyboards
__________________

monagi is offline  
Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Lights!

You could easily get some blue LED's, a 3 volt regulator, and a Molex cable. Hook the 5 volt line from the PSU connector to the 3 volt regulator's input, then output to the LED's in parallel.

I'm not sure about brightness, since it may not even tell the computer about brightness changes. If it did, it'd take some driver hacking which is probably really hard.
__________________

__________________

CalcProgrammer1 is offline  
Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
You could easily get some blue LED's, a 3 volt regulator, and a Molex cable. Hook the 5 volt line from the PSU connector to the 3 volt regulator's input, then output to the LED's in parallel.

I'm not sure about brightness, since it may not even tell the computer about brightness changes. If it did, it'd take some driver hacking which is probably really hard.
The brightness control on the Saitek is just a 3 position push-button switch. Push once, it goes to dim, twice is off, and a third time its back to full brightness.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: that place
Posts: 57
Send a message via AIM to monagi
Default Re: Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
The brightness control on the Saitek is just a 3 position push-button switch. Push once, it goes to dim, twice is off, and a third time its back to full brightness.
The Eclipse II actually has a rotating dial for brightness.
monagi is offline  
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,887
Default Re: Lights!

It sounds like it uses a pot, variable resistor of somesort. Higher resistance, dimmer it gets, less resistance the brighter, but shorter lifespan...
c0rr0sive is offline  
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Lights!

Unless you really want to tear your keyboard apart and spend a lot of time figuring things out, just get a couple sets of cathode lights with rocker switches and mount those on the front.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monagi View Post
The Eclipse II actually has a rotating dial for brightness.
Ah, ok. Nice =). I have the Eclipse I, so I wasn't sure what the Eclipse II had over the Ecl. I.

Also, agreed with Aspire here. Would be much easier to do.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Iron Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Aurora,IL
Posts: 172
Default Re: Lights!

My Saitek Eclipse II just got delivered yesterday and I'm loving it. The adjustable brightness and colors is a nice touch and I like how the sides of the keyboard has the slim bars that light up. Its got a nice hefty weight to it and rubber pads that keep it on my desk without sliding around.

I don't know about the lights but I've added a few extra blue LED case fans that make it look really nice and match the keyboard. These are the ones I got.
Newegg.com - HIPER HFF-1B08N Blue LED 80mm Transparent Case Fan - Case Fans

Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans
Iron Feet is offline  
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFZ55 View Post
My Saitek Eclipse II just got delivered yesterday and I'm loving it. The adjustable brightness and colors is a nice touch and I like how the sides of the keyboard has the slim bars that light up. Its got a nice hefty weight to it and rubber pads that keep it on my desk without sliding around.

I don't know about the lights but I've added a few extra blue LED case fans that make it look really nice and match the keyboard. These are the ones I got.
Newegg.com - HIPER HFF-1B08N Blue LED 80mm Transparent Case Fan - Case Fans

Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans
Jesus you got ripped off on those fans.

Petra's Tech Shop

They have a nice selection of top notch fans.
Take a look at the yate-loon fans. They offer excellent bang for buck performance.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Iron Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Aurora,IL
Posts: 172
Default Re: Lights!

They do have some good prices!

I don't see an 80mm x 15mm fan though. That is the only size that fits in the right side of the CM690 for the motherboard.
__________________

Iron Feet is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Led Lights When In standBy kurtowns Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 04-12-2008 02:18 PM
how do u sync songs with ur lights? An example link provided. Wildside Off Topic Discussion 1 12-21-2007 09:59 PM
LED lights Jethro69 Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 05-13-2007 05:25 AM
lights saltynay Overclocking and Modding 18 04-22-2007 01:39 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.