Let's Get this GTX"'s Heart Beating Faster, Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
My 8800 GTX is currently at an overclocking wall of 661/1062 and I would really like to push the core up to 700mhz in order to try to break 15k on my 3DMark06 score. I've been researching upping the PCI-E frequency from 100mhz to maybe 110mhz or 115mhz which is supposedly stable on good mobos, and I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this or any information on whether it works, what kind of problems it can cause, if it's worth it, etc.

Another thing I read said that editing the bios to lower the shader clock can often allow much more headroom on the core clock, does anyone have any opinions on this? Apparently you can also edit the card's bios to up the voltage that way instead of a hardware volt mod. Is this effective and if so, safer than a hardware volt mod?

So of those things I said, which should I pursue? A bios edit, a PCI-E overclock, hardware volt mod, or a combination of those?

Keep in mind that I am speaking of the card's bios, not my mobo's except in the case of a PCI-E overclock.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

i run my PCI-e frequency at 125Mhz on a 680i board.

seems to help maintain a more stable OC on my Ultra.

i doubt you'll be able to break the 700 mark unless you volt mod the card.

I see... I tried a pci-e frequency of 120mhz earlier today and couldn't get it stable at 670... I'll try 125 later and try for maybe 665 and we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom