LED Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sccrguy15

Beta member
Ok I am new to this whole scene here and I was wondering, if i wanted to hook up like i dont know a bunch of LEDs. How would I wire that? I really don't know anything about wiring or anything so I guess can you explain that whole thing to me please. I am not very smart either I guess I should say.

Connect the long wire to the positive (i think) and the short wire to the negative. If you were to connect server LEDs, you can link them together by connecting the short wire to the another LED's long wire, like how batteries do, and you would be able to link multiple LEDs at a time. Or you can link them all back to the battery, so if one LED fails, they won't all go out.

I dont know if it's the same when you hook LEDs up to a PC PSU, but I know when you use LEDs on a circuit board, you need to put a resistor in series with the LED. Are these LEDs you guys are talking about especially made so that they have a resistor built in or is the PSU current-limited enough so that the LED doesn't burn out.

If they are normal LEDs, and the PSU wont limit the current supplied to them enogh then you do need a resistor. Also, if you wire the LEDs in parallel, rather than in series, they'll be brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom