Leaving computer on

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I left my computer on for about 5 days now and it runs fine. I also keep it cool by having the winter air come in. But exactly how long can you leave a computer on before it get messed up?

No, it depends on how busy your comp is. It will get hot if it is very busy all the time. The hotter it gets the sooner it will die. The harddrives or PSU will die earlier than other parts I think.

What if I'm just using it daiy just browsing the internet and downloading stuff?

You'll be aright man. Every CPU, computer, system, and user are all different, so we can't tell you, it could crash RIGHT NOW!!! :p Anyway, personally I don't leave mine on, because computers like to reboot every once in a while and clear up the memory so it runs a little smoother. Some people say leaving it on is better because then it doesn't expand and shrink as much from heating up then cooling down, but then again constant heat wears down the transistors too. All in all it should last about the same as someone who turns it on and off everyday and uses it for more applications.

U cannot say how long it last for sure. It's more guessing. It depends on how well it is cooled. All parts wear down.

You computer will last pretty long that way.

My computer is 7 almost 8 years old and it runs perfectly. It has 100% CPU usage almost all the time.

The great thing about computers is that you can replace all parts, so basically a computer can last forever.

You can leave them on forever! I have not rebooted my PC in about 2 months. I use it daily for gaming, internet, and video encoding-decoding. The only reason I shut if off was to install more memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom