Leaving the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinrichisgod

In Runtime
this may seem like a stupid question, but I have heard that when you are away from your pc its better for your hardware to leave it running than it is to turn the pc off. Is this true?

It will cosz your pc lagging if u turning it on non stop.
Is just that not good for the pc if u turn it on n off too frequent cosz it will give impact to the HDD.
Y u want to waste the electricity if u r not using???????????

I've heard that before, my only guess is that it is a machine, and like a car, turning it on and off is "bad" for it. Although it is a way of life, I couldn't see any way that you would actually find this out though. You could probably do a test to find out, but I would think it'd take 10 years of turning a computer off and on 500 times a day to actually take effect, but by then your computer would most likely be dead heh.

I leave my computer on almost 24/7 with my ftp's open and so fourth, bit torrent's etc... So people can download (gotta share what you got from someone else)

well using bittorent will damage your HDD faster cosz the HDD non stop spinning n working

I would leave mine on, but it is in my room, and i want my sleep lol. I haven't noticed any slow down and i've been turning it off before i go to sleep and turning it back on when i get home for 3 months now. I haven't defragged it in awhile........ I've heard many things about it, either way, your computer will last about the same, whether you leave it on or not.
If you are worried about power consumption, set the computer to go into standby mode, and to turn off the hard disks after a few hours of non use. Also set the monitor to go on standby. you only really need that if you leave your comp on all the time.

didi said:
well using bittorent will damage your HDD faster cosz the HDD non stop spinning n working

Are you stupid or something?

The HDD was meant for that stuff, it will take you a long time to "damage" it, that is, if you actually manage to.

Woah, easy on the namecalling.

I usually leave mine on as long as possible, or just leave it in standby (see sig). There isn't any real harm to this, simply put, but if the machine is running hot (above normal operating temperatures) often, it's a good idea for a shut off (e.g. hard drives are very susceptible to heat damage); electromigration can occur when an integrated circuit runs at excessively high temperatures for a long time.

Who cares??

By the time all These so-called damages from turning on and off accumulate your computer will be long since out of date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom