Lapping a TRUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
***Shoot, I meant to post this in the Overclocking/Tweaking section. If a mod could please help me out by moving it. Thanks ***

I need lots of help. I don't know what to do. Lapping a TRUE is not easy. It's awkward to hold and skips/jumps when you pass it along even wet sand paper. I looked into many guides online and despite me trying everything I could, I just can't get rid of the convexity of my TRUE... it's really bothering the snot out of me! My temps are so uneven, sometimes by even 10 degrees!

Here's an image exaggerating where the convex shape is on the HSF in red:
2639cb5.jpg

I had 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 grit that I went through, wet-sanding, letting the weight of the hsf do the work, on a piece of glass. I used straight passes on the paper, going in one direction only (not back and forth or circular), turning the HSF 90' after 1 to 3 passes.

Still no luck, still convex! I can tell when I put it down on the glass or when I put a flat razor on top with a light behind. My Q6600 on the other hand is nice, super shiny and flat.

It's pretty bad, I'm just going to replace the cooler with the stock Intel fan for now until I can get my TRUE flattened out, because it was REALLY convex before lapping and is still pretty convex after lapping, doesn't look like it changed much despite a lot of lapping... temps are horrendous, too embarassed to share them.. I know they're bad, trust me.

Who here has their TRUE lapped and what advice can you share? Was yours concave or convex? Thanks ahead of time.

i know you said you looked at many guides but have you seen this one?
Pictorial HSF+IHS lapping guide! (check this out if you're thinking about lapping) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

not sure what else you could do. could take anywhere from 2 - 6+ hours to lap it. convex theoretically should be easier to get rid of then concave, and you just need to grind down the middle to match the outside. That being said the only advice i have is make darn sure you're holding it perfectly level and not grinding down any side, rather than the direct middle of it.

all that being said I don't have a true myself. I was goign to lap my cpu block but its already flat. heh.

Did you try to push the TRUE or pull it to you? I found that if i pushed it, i couldnt get it to slide smoothly. I only lapped mine using 400 grit. Took me maybe an hour tops to get both the CPU and heatsink perfectly flat.

Btw, my true was pretty convex so the center cores were getting good temps but the outer cores were getting pretty craptastic temps. Now all 4 cores are within 1-2C of each other.

great, I appreciate the input. I'm glad to know that grits beyond 400 are not necessary because it's a pain in the butt to find anything more than 400 in my local hardware stores. and, yeah, I found pulling it much easier than pushing... actually pushing is what gives you the 'skipping' or jumping, which was really annoying, how long did it take you to lap it?

The link was pretty helpful. Thanks Aku.

And as far as my Q6600's concerned, I just dry sanded it. It was already pretty flat to begin with, but I just wanted it super flat and shiny :)

yea, that's a good article. I need to lap mine but am afraid of voiding the CPU warranty...doh. I have a metal shop here at work, and I'm thinking of having them do it on their precise equipment...hmmm

Basically if you put the cpu in and it works, the only way its going to die is from being overvolted or overheating, both of which pretty much void the warranty if you have overclocked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom