Lapping? is it REALLY neccesary

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
Ok I dont plan on OCing my comp like A whole lot, maybe just a tad, so when I buy a new CPU cooler (with artic silver of course) is it really neccesary to Lapp my cpu, It's a 2.8 celeron d? so? should I?, I've never done it and dont want to mess anything up

whoever asnwers this needs to explain what Lapping is, because i have no idea

No one ever said lapping was necessary in the first place so to ask if it is necessary is completely ones opinion. For those who don't know, what he means buy lapping is his heatsink. Starting from a large grain sandpaper like 800grit sandpaper and moving up until about 2000 grit to get a mirror finish on the heatsink to provide the absolute best contact between heatsink and CPU.

Of course it's not necessary and it's also a good deal of work so plan on putting a minimum of one hour into it if not more. I wouldn't suspect anything over 5C drop MAYBE and that's assuming you've done a good lapping job and seated the heatsink good. I lapped my SLK-900A, it was quite some work to do. I didn't use the heatsink before I lapped it though so I didn't have before and after temperatures

but like normally the finishes on chips are good enough though right?

ATI-M said:
but like normally the finishes on chips are good enough though right?

you don't lap the chip itself, unless you want to kill it. you can lap chipsets (on your mobo, or video cad) but they are totally different than a processor core. the CPU doesn't need lapping, it's the heatsink.

i lapped the stock XP aluminum cooler for my GF, and it lowered temps about 5C (it was really scratched up b4 i did). So it does help, but MY cooler isn't lapped. doesnt need it. make sure you lap it using waterprof sandpaper under a small stream of water. lapping dry can cause scratches and the like.

ATI-M, you only have celeron which doesn't really get that hot (experience talking here) so unless you are going prescott p4 2.8 or higher with possible oc'ing then you won't need to do anythin special other than slapping on the thermal paste and HS. (please refer to your other thread for proper method)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom