lapping kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

an51r

In Runtime
http://easypckits.com/ so i ordered a lapping kit which consists of 400-2000 grit sandpaper to lap my ihs fan. i would just like to let anyone who is interested in something like this that the aforementioned link is a great company i was thoroughly impressed with them the kit was only 5 dollars with shipping, which you may say well its only sandpaper, well go to your local hardware and hobby shops and ask for 2000 grit sandpaper. if you do manage to find it(which i did) you are forced to but a pack of each which can get expensive........and they also sent me a thank you gift which was a big bag of cable ties not much but cmon its free. so on to the lapping i will post any temp reduction here when i am done prolly in like 5 hours ugh.

good luck and be careful, if you dont apply even pressure the entire time, u'll end up w/ a lopsided hsf which will do more harm that good no matter how smooth it is

PICT0002-1.jpg
PICT0003.jpg

lapping is smoothing out the heatsinks for a better contact for heat dissapation

Lapping is more than polish. Should do it on a piece of floatglass, to ensure a level, as well as smooth surface. And never press down hard on the sink down to lap, use light pressure/sinks own weight only, and keep rotating the sink in your hand while lapping in circles on the flat surface the sandpaper is taped to. And although the polish looks nice, very little temp decrease from 1000 grit and finer...you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom