Lapped my PII 940 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User
Default Lapped my PII 940

Holy high edges batman! :freak: I got my GB board back and it works, so I took the Asus one out, popped the CPU out and took a straight edge to it and noticed it had WICKED high edges!

I started with 600gt but all it was really doing was polishing the top.. I'm gonna do my Waterblock too. There's three small dents on the surface.. NO clue how they got there. I'll take it down a little on that one. I'll post that up tomorrow when I start and finish.

First try @ 600gt.

320gt

Back to 600gt, and then on to 1000gt.

I finished it up with 1000gt, then went to 1500gt. It got almost all of the scratches out of the surface. I'm tired and don't feel it needs any more work. That's what we have CPU paste for, right? LOL

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Lapped my PII 940

hmm, not too bad. could be better

i thought about lapping my CPU but dosent it like void the warranty or something. and also it will make it harder to sell because nobody would believe you that it is what ever it is.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Papa Chester

^ The CPU shows on the POST. And yes it does void your warranty.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Equator Gringo

I have heavy issues with temperature since I live in well... let's say climate challenged weather. Sometimes 84% humidity and 100 degrees, and it's winter season now. I can't afford to run my A/C all day and night (I just leave all windows open and a couple of fans) nor can I afford water cooling, so it limits my OC ability. Point being I need to do whatever I can to get lower temperatures. How has your temps changed? Was it worth it? Would you suggest skipping 320gt and 600gt or? Any info would be great.

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Papa Chester

I haven't assembled the computer yet.. I'm half way through lapping my waterblock (took my afternoon nap, just waking up). You're never going to get any cooler than ambient temperature unless you run a Phase Change system, or a chilled water system. Mine runs at 48*c during games so I'd just like to see how much this will help. I'm not expecting a HUGE difference, tho. My house is normally 72*F.

Don't skip a step with the sand paper.. And call me crazy, but I'm wet sanding it to avoid the paper getting clogged. 600 knocks down the marks from the 320gt, 800 knocks down the 600gt marks and 1000 knocks down the 800gt marks.. and so on.. 1500gt and up is mostly for polishing but still needed.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Woah.. I guess I have to start over with a new setup (Different MB and all) I gotta start from scratch again with my RAID setup and everything.. .

But the BIOS was saying that the CPU idle temp was at 19*c! .. :freak: I've never seen it that cold. We'll see how it idles and loads once Win7 is up and running.. I'd like to get my RAID setup back before the end of tonight..

-=Bah- Double Post.. my bad, didn't notice... I'll load Water block lapping pics now.=-

About an hour of 320gt. I SWEAR I had pre Lap Pics.. There are three small dents in the center. I didn't think they were that bad, but it's a serious DENT. I don't know if I noticed them when I initially installed it.. I was a drunk back then and have a hard time remembering things. I got them about flush now.

After 1500gt... Final. I'm not worried about the fine swirl marks.. They're not deep enough to be a problem. I used my finger to smooth a small amount of thermal paste on the CPU and a thin film on the Waterblock also... Oh, when I say thin, I mean THIN.. Just enough to color it to where you can't see the copper block.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

BIOS's usually report the temps significantly lower than they actually are with Phenom II's. You might wanna try Core Temp, which would be much more accurate.

People used to take the IHS off the CPU's, so that the die directly contacts the heatsink. But that was before AMD started soldering them on (instead of using some kind of paste).
What a few people have done is file the IHS right down to the CPU die.

If you do that, you might want to leave the square that's left of the IHS on, so that the heatsink doesn't apply too much pressure on the die (because they can be crushed with too much force. And I think that was one of the reasons they started using IHS's in the first place).

Also, Phenom II's respond very well to low temperatures. Sometimes increasing the voltage is not the right thing to do, because that increases heat, causing instability rather than making it more stable.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Papa Chester

^ I'm not going to go down to the die.. That's a bit much for me. I don't want to mess anything up. I haven't had the system running long enough to really get settled with it or test anything. I'm still messing with setting the RAID profile up.. I forgot how much or a pain it was last time. I put the files on the floppy, and the setup never sees them, so I have to go BACK and copy/paste each individual section or the setup won't see it. -Darn annoying!!

I went to the drag strip tonight with the car, so I'm about done for tonight..

Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Equator Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
BIOS's usually report the temps significantly lower than they actually are with Phenom II's. You might wanna try Core Temp, which would be much more accurate.
Yeah, my bios reads about 10c lower than Core Temp.

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

and when AMD says max temp for phenom II is 62C, which one should we care? the core temps or cpu temp?

Closed Thread