KVM Hack??

Buldg7

Solid State Member
Hey Guys, I fell into a lot of old, outdated hardware a while back that's just been taking up space. I found this really old Cybex 8-port KVM switch, and had the idea to modify it to act as an input switch with a number of options as far as connections. The thing is rack-mount, and would be a really useful addition to my PA system. As each port is a 25-pin D-Sub connector, I'd theoretically have plenty of connectivity to connect, for example, 1/4" connections, NL4 connections, stereo rca, 1/8" connections, XLR connections, really the possibilities could be endless. However, upon tearing this thing apart, I've realized that I'd need some help from you guys. My biggest problem is that each port needs to have a signal running through it in order to be able to select it as an input. It would make things a lot easier for me if I could rig them all to think there's signal running through them. Any thoughts on any of this? I'll be posting pictures of the pcb soon, but for now, all that's labeled on the main pcb is "COPYRIGHT 1998 CYBEX COMPUTER PRODUCTS CORPORATION PWB 610034 REV C". There is also a sticker that says "MSAL 2800", and another labeled "600-363-003 REV E". I hope that some of that helps. If you want to look up pictures of exactly what I have, it's the Cybex Autoview Commander, the 8-port model.

I think the biggest problem with using it for that application would be the noise generated from point A to point B due to the difference in signals the device was designed for, and modifying the destination to work with said signals to the receiving unit. The other problem would be the output. Each port is meant for an adapter that branches off to VGA and PS/2 mouse and keyboard that goes to the main output, which is again VGA and PS/2. Each large port is meant to directly communicate to the main output on the device. So you'd need to find a way to hook your end device (console, PC, whatever) to the destination ports which are designed to deliver different signals than what you intend to use the 8 individual channels for.

Back
Top Bottom