Kind of suspicious of my phenom ii x6 overclock issue. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Kind of suspicious of my phenom ii x6 overclock issue.

I already know Mind, before I had system trouble last few months it wasn't a constant problem.
When pete told me to turn off the cool and quite I knew what that meant already.
The c45-770 at startup went from 3.36ghz- 3.96ghz when it had programs under full load nonstop.
My new 1333 ddr3 ram I had bought to increase the system specs to 3gbs did not work and other stuff went wrong as well following.
So come monday I will call kingston for a rma shipping return for a replacement.

For the record with the artic freezer pro 64 and a hexacore does work good, it was able to acheive 3.96 for 30 seconds in windows but then drop back down while working.
If it did not do this it would crash like mad non-stop.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Please listen. OC is hard when you have different timings.

Your heatsink is not meant for OC. As Puddle posted.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMike View Post
I already know Mind, before I had system trouble last few months it wasn't a constant problem.
When pete told me to turn off the cool and quite I knew what that meant already.
The c45-770 at startup went from 3.36ghz- 3.96ghz when it had programs under full load nonstop.
My new 1333 ddr3 ram I had bought to increase the system specs to 3gbs did not work and other stuff went wrong as well following.
So come monday I will call kingston for a rma shipping return for a replacement.

For the record with the artic freezer pro 64 and a hexacore does work good, it was able to acheive 3.96 for 30 seconds in windows but then drop back down while working.
If it did not do this it would crash like mad non-stop.
But was it stable? You need to test your overclock using Linx or Intel burn test using a minimum of 10 passes and be sure to monitor your temps while doing this. These programs push a processor much harder than normal and they will heat it up enough to damage the cpu if you don't have adequate cooling.

Before you say that's excessive there is a very good reason we recommend these programs for testing overclocks. An unstable overclock causes something called silent data corruption which means it is basically corrupting you files without your knowledge. If you run one fro long enough it's very possible that every file on your system could become irreparably damaged.

Also for the record I had the lga775 version of that cooler on my old system, it was ok for my E2180 but that cpu was a dual core with rather low power consumption. There is no way I would want to use it on my current Phenom II x4 if i was overclocking.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Ok, puddler I understand, let me finish reinstalling windows 7 on my other hdd and restore my files again.
On the new system after putting back my 140mm fan in the back of my case the cpu dropped back down from 44c to 38c again.
I had some tuniq-x2 left that I was saving for my processor, I "think" what set off all of this is when I added in the new ram kingston ddr3 1333 from newegg in november.
My overclock on turbo with c45-m770 was at 3.7ghz stable and the temp was reading on my gauga and in bios 34c stable and folding on 90%.
Now my old mobo is going to a new home up north by friday since I can't use her no more.

Last before I check back in here mid-day in the morning while taking care of some customer phone calls and running out the door all day, I do change my paste every 6 months.
When the cpu temp starts to slowly rise up like it's doing even with proper cooling from a back fan and a 120mm fan at the bottom it's time for a pregrease again. >_>
Been since september 1st, since I changed but can't find the blasted paste...

Closed Thread