Just overclocked comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If uve just recently built your pc, then the CPU temp might go down over some time. It did with me.

Ya, the computer is about 4 years old. I'd really like to keep this comp as is. It's not worth getting another case for it. It's pretty old.

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, I just took apart my comp. I took off the CPU heatsink and measured from the retention bracket to the powersupply. I have 1.2cm. The Zalman 7000 needs 1cm. So I have 2mm clearance. I think I may order it. If it rubs, I'll just enlarge the holes that hold in my power supply and move it up because it has 1" of clearance above it. Comments.

Also, you know how usually you take the heatsink off and the CPU comes with it because either a thermal pad or paste are holding the 2 together. My thermal pad was completely gone. There were remnants, but it was completely destroyed. The heatsink has been on there for 4 years. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is where my problem was. If I get the Zalman and some thermal paste I should drop 15C easy......I hope. I was just gonna use the paste that comes with the Zalman. Should be good enough.

Also, no one answered my questions about intake/exhaust. I would think exhaust is more important so if I have 2 fans I should put the more powerful one on exhaust. No?

Exhuast is more beneficial to your system. Those fans can't actually build up pressure inside of the case to squeeze air out, so intake fans are only there to compliment and make the exhaust fans live's easier. They also help direct air where you want it... But exhaust fans are your #1 priority.

Ryan

you know there is a chart on zalmans website to show you which mobo's are compatible with whatever zalman cooler your getting

There sure is. Only problem is that my motherboard may be compatible, but depending upon the case you buy you may not have room. When not in my case, it fits, put it in and where the motherboard sits interferes.

make sure the fans make a good current through your computer. My computer is set up with 5 fans. 2 front intake (bottom), top fan blowing out, side fan high intake (cold air sinks onto graphics card), and rear 120mm turbine (looks like one, it can really blow!) blowing out.

thats the current of my computer, more blowing out is good to blow out the hot air, putting it all intake and one out will fry everything becuase the air heats up so much faster in a case (small space)

my 2 cents

Dude, there is plenty of room inside that case.

Zalman 7000 all copper will be great.

1.) Dump the ribbon IDE cables - pick up some rounded IDE cables.
2.) Take out the PSU, spend a few hours wire sleeving the wires.
3.) Wire sleeve some of the other wires as well.

You'll be free and clear...

Ya. The round cables are on the way. $10 for all 3. I don't wanna mod my case so all I can have is 1 intake and 1 exhaust. I was gonna have my 24CFM fan as my intake and a Panaflo 39CFM fan as my exhaust. I'm also gonna order the 7000 alluminum/copper, $10 less and alot less wieght, and use the thermal compound that came with it.

Sound good?

Well, I ordered a Panaflo and the Zalman 7000BC-ALU. Now I wait for my round cables and fans to come in. And that's when I noticed that all my efforts and money did NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom