just need a quick answer/opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxious

Baseband Member
Just applied arctic silver 5 to my cpu, does this application look correct?

Set43_01.jpg

The pic is a little blurry, but it looks ok to me. I just apply, then use a credit card (or razor) to try to get it as thin as possible while keeping it smooth.

ya done using a palm zire 71, decent quality but not good for up close. :( I used a calling card (same as credit card) and it's very thin and no more red is showing.

My friends who build pcs all day long say that as long as you dont overdo it and apply waaaay to much AS5, you should be ok. I think the main thing is to just try to keep it even, as sometimes the card will smooth certain areas and take off too much on others, leaving a line through the cpu. It looks good to me though.

thanks. Went over it with a razor blade a couple times to make sure it's flat and even.

razor blade on yer cpu, dude!?! man, you got some guts, alright...

....ok obviously you have trouble handling sharp objects or something? Its insanely common to use a razor blade...it's not like you're cutting the thing..you use the edge and smooth it...same as a spackling tool......you can go across your bareskin with a razor blade sideways.

I run a piece of thin card over the CPU (preferrably laminated not to leave any microscopic pieces of card in the Arctic Silver 5).

The natural bend of the card judges the thin paste left, also leaves it smooth :) Its more of an art I think ;)

no no no no no. You want the whole chip to be SMOTHERED in paste. I mean, so much so that you can't even see the chip at all. When you put on the heatsink, the compound should squish out and spill onto your motherboard.

joking.

Yeah, it looks about right to me. I usually put a dot on the chip the size of a BB and let the heatsink squish it out evenly. I've never had a problem with that.

I usually put a dot on the chip the size of a BB and let the heatsink squish it out evenly. I've never had a problem with that.
maybe not have had a problem, but you might get better temps if you apply a thin layer to the CPU Core then put the heatsink on top, but ehh either way should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom