Just installed Zalman with AS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
I just did it. Installed my Zalman 7000B-ALCU. It sits in there perfectly. The wires from the ATX motherboard power connector are underneath it and touch it as they come out, but it should be fine.

The AS5 sucked to put on. I was so worried about screwing it up. I put the size of a grain of rice and placed the heatsink into position. I didn't realize the heatsink made contact and lifted it to reposition. There was AS5 on the bottom so I put it back into place and tightened it down. It was right in the center so it should be fine.

I had the stock intel heatsink before with a worn out thermal pad. My CPU is at 39C right now and my case temp is 27C. My CPU was about 48C before and my case temp was 34C. These temps are taken from Everest. The Zalman moves alot of air and if what you guys say is true, the AS5 gets better as it breaks in.

I have a StarTech 80mm fan as my intake, a PanaFlo 80mm 39CFM fan as my exhaust, and the 92mm Zalman all running at max fan speed. It's still pretty quiet. I have a Silverstone 92mm 72CFM fan on the way that's going to be my exhaust, the PanaFlo is gonna be my intake, and the StarTech is going into storage. That should make for a nice setup.

Comments.

You may have gotten it down another degree if you didn't remove it and replace it. You introduce air into the grease when you do this, and lessen the effect, ever so slightly.

Ryan

Really. ****. It wasn't squished yet. Only had half a grain on the chip and another half on the heatsink. Then I squished it. This tweaking sucks. For example, if I move a cable 1" to the left it'll improve the airflow and I'll get another degree, but 1.1" and it'll go up a degree.

I'm gonna shut down my computer while I take a shower. Let it cool down. Then I'm gonna boot it back up and run Prime95 for a couple hours. AS5 says the warming up and cooling down will help improve temps.

Dammit. I ran Prime95 for 2 hours. My case temp is 29C and my CPU temp is 42C now. The max temp my CPU hit while priming it was 53C. I'm disappointed.

i have the same cooler but on my 4400 X2 and for some reason with AS5 im still running at 44 C which is very disappointing. im going to give it a little time and let the AS5 cure then see what happens. i was hoping for more around 37-38 though.

Ya, I was wanting to begin my overclock. Guess I'm going to wait too and see what happens.

You have to wait a bit before the AS5 gets harder or something like that to conduct better heat. I think it's something like 40 hours.

Oh really. So we all know I ran Prime95 for 2 hours. Now lets say I overclocked my computer and got it up to a stable 2.6Ghz. Now lets say I increased the core voltage to 1.6V because the computer started crashing after 2.7Ghz. Do you think the increased heat during the hardening phase might have screwed it up.

All I know is I am hovering around 45C right now and am not too happy considering I was at 38C when I first installed the Zalman and AS5. Really not happy considering my stock heatsink with a crappy thermal pad was running around 48C

filter996 said:
Oh really. So we all know I ran Prime95 for 2 hours. Now lets say I overclocked my computer and got it up to a stable 2.6Ghz. Now lets say I increased the core voltage to 1.6V because the computer started crashing after 2.7Ghz. Do you think the increased heat during the hardening phase might have screwed it up.

All I know is I am hovering around 45C right now and am not too happy considering I was at 38C when I first installed the Zalman and AS5. Really not happy considering my stock heatsink with a crappy thermal pad was running around 48C
u might wanna run prime95 more than 2 hours tho..at least over night like 8 - 10 hours or more. or u can just play games for 3 - 5 hours straight and if u see no problem, its stable.
and i wouldnt go higher than vcore 1.6v. since it heats up other components on mobo...check chipset temp and PWMIC temp also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom