Jumpy gaming after overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of power supply do you have?

Maybe your system is getting enough power to run everything.

Just a wild guess.

Got a new NIC card - its made absolutly no difference :-(

Im really struggling here - im thinking it might be the Motherboard? - But ive had 3 Ds4 borads in here and they have all been the same in this respect. Anyone else heard of this problem?

OK - Ive installed the latest drivers for the X1900XT and its made no difference.

For those just jumping to the end of the thread;

Overclocked the games play perfectly offline - but are jumpy when played online.
At stock speeds both online and offline gaming is good, with no noticable graphical difference between them.

So - Whats causing the problem!?

So far ive tried:

Reinstalling game, reinstalling drivers, setting cpu affinity, using new NIC card, and reinstalling windows. - None of these have helped.

Im quite annoyed as i spent that bit extra on buying very overclockable components...

Any more ideas guys?

Thanks.

Max2559 said:
Hi

So ive overclocked the e6600 to 3.0 ghz (its done 3.4 in the past). Im running it on a Gigabyte Ga965p-DS4 motherboard.

Only ive just noticed that game play (BF2) stutters more when the cpu is overclocked (even a mild overclock to 2.6Ghz has this effect).

The setup is stable as ive run 3dmark05 and prime and mem test....

Is there a reason that overclocking it makes the game more choppy? I thought its meant to increase performance!

Cheers,

question... have you burned in the CPU with prime95 overnight to make sure that your overclock is stable?

also any idea what the temp is on your northbridge chipset? maybe it is overheating?

Thanks for the reply -

Well - when going for the max overclock i tested it at 3.4Ghz and RAN all the diagnostic checks at that speed. I have not left it testing over night - but for a good few hours during the day (say 5). I considered that ok- shouldnt i have done? I also used sandra, and 3dmark 05 and have played HOURS on end of FEAR off line with it overclocked... and its runs like a dream. - The problem doesnt seem to be the stability of the overclock - It seems to be something to do with online play only!? As ive mentioned before my ping is always very low as ive got a 10Meg line. (Get around 6meg d/l and 1.0 Upload)

Temp on Northbridge - Hmm just not sure actually. I say this as im positive the thermal sensors on these DS4 boards are all faulty. I get system temp as 34 - Ok that i can believe.
Bit then CPU temp 23 - How can that be? - It cant be lower than the system temp that makes no sense!

Unless im missing something? Ive got a sonic tower on the e6600 with a mid mounted fan - and good case fans so im not overly concerned about temp. - Also if it was the temp of the northbridge it would not occur straight away from the moment i set the O/C would it? Surely it would take some time to overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom