Jerkiness in some games

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
I've been having some funny stuff happen in Need For Speed Most Wanted, where the game runs at about 60FPS, but every 5 to 10 seconds, I'd have a pause for maybe a tenth of a second, and then it continues like normal. It doesn't really cause problems, but I just wanted to get your opinion on what could be causing it.

I doubt whether its the game lagging, cause I get 60FPS, with a minimum of about 45FPS. Is it the CPU suffering from a lack of bandwith, or are there too many progs running in the background. Does anybody else's NFS do this as well?

It looks like there's something running in the background. Try and kill some processes and then try the game again. Do you have the newest drivers?

I have the newest graphics and chipset drivers. I'll end some background processes to see if it makes a differences. But would a lot of processes cause the jerkiness? Wouldn't they just slow everything down in general, with me getting lower framerates?

Well sometimes programs in the background have to "spike" and use a lot of the CPU for a brief second.

i think it has something to do with vsync. go to video options and see if there is something called veritcal sync(ronization) or vsync and turn it on or set it to a specific FPS.
i don't know if its going to help, but hey give it a try (if vsync is an option)..

You might want to try and up your chipset voltage a tad. This is of course assuming your chipset runs fairly cool anyway. Not necessarily 'cool' but you just dont want it running hot as those NF2 chipsets easily got hot.

But yeah, I'd try the smallest increment on the chipset and see if that helps. I've noticed on my computer I have to up the chipset and LDT voltage by .1 or so because of my overclock. Considering the beast of a card you have in that system, I wouldn't be surprised if the chipset simply can't handle the bandwidth of that card that's technically years more advanced than that motherboard.

Just a thought.

I agree w/ Nubius on this one. That nF2 chipset has no idea what to do w/ that beast of a card. ****, even my nF3 ultra has problems w/ my regular 7800GS. My friend has a nF250gb and it pauses for like 10 seconds so be glad yours is only a tenth of a second. Try and bump up the chipset voltage.

I had the exact same problem (mine was due to bottlenecking though). With my 3200+ @ 2.0 and 7900gtx it was incredibly laggy/glitchy like you explained. After I bumped my 3200+ to 3.0 it played perfect. Even with my 3200+ at 2.4 it was still a tab bit glitchy. I know the 7900gtx is far better than a 7800gs, but your's still may be bottlenecking.

hrmm.. i think i had the same problem with my 6800gs, it did every once in a pause for a short while even though the frame rates were very steady. F.E.A.R still does that for me and i'm running 2 7900gt's!! i'm thinking its my 1 gig of ram holding me back.. so i've ordered my 2nd in hopes of solving that problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom