I've been inspired... my build log...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anime_dude07

In Runtime
let's let this stand as the work log of my ever-changing first build...

well as you can see in my sig and if you've ever seen me around before you know that I change my mind about ALL the peices of my build...

I started w/ this...

BFG nVIDIA nFORCE 680i SLI
E6850 @ 3.0GHz; 1333Mhz FSB; L2-4MB
4x1.0GB PC2-6400 DDR2
BFG GeForce 8500 GTS 512MB DDR2 PCIe
ThermalTake Augila
WD Raptor X 150GB
ThermalTake BigWater 735 L.C.S.
ThermalTake PurePower 600w PSU
LG 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD
LG SecurDisc 20x DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW w/ LightScribe
Windows Vista Ultimate OS

then I heard that Thermaltake's LCSs are un-reliable as they are prone to leakage...

so then I was looking @ this set-up...
(red is out, green is in)

BFG nVIDIA nFORCE 680i SLI
E6850 @ 3.0GHz; 1333Mhz FSB; L2-4MB
4x1.0GB PC2-6400 DDR2
BFG GeForce 8500 GTS 512MB DDR2 PCIe
ThermalTake Augila
WD Raptor X 150GB
ThermalTake BigWater 735 L.C.S.
ThermalTake PurePower 600w PSU
LG 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD
LG SecurDisc 20x DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW w/ LightScribe
Windows Vista Ultimate OS

yup... you guessed it... no clue what I want in that area... yet...

so then I saw this case on cunjo's build, soul savage, the cooler master cm stacker T01 case caught my eye... but the colors would have to be changed for a blue/green scheme... preferences and what nots, y'know...

I couldn't get the ideas of that case out of my head, so I'm swapping that full-tower in for my thermaltake augila mid-tower... I just hope I can still return it for my $160 back... but that gives me more room to tinker w/ case mods...

and the 8800GT is out in four days... on the 29th... so I've got that slated for the new build specs as well... but only after looking at (and ordering, only to return) the 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 version... but decided on the 1024MB GT instead...

swapping out the case calls for some more case fans... 3 more to be exact... buying all 5 brand new though so they are all the same brand... might throw in a 5.25" bay fan control module... and also throwin in the CM stacker cross flow fan for more air flow, as well as a 70mm PCI slot in-case fan...the fans are blue LED, keeping with the color scheme.

again, from cunjo's build, the cold cathode lighting... he's got 2-12", one red and the other UV. I'm going with 15" deluxe sound-activated cold cathode tubes, one blue, one UV. Also sleeving up my wires w/ green UV reactive sleeving kits, and maybe a little bit of blue, possibly other colors as well for a unique look, but all in all a blue/green color scheme.

after all is said and done, here are the stats in my sig currently... they most likely will change later on down the road if I see something new that I like...

BFG nVIDIA nFORCE 680i SLI $300
E6850 @ 3.0GHz(4.0+Ghz OCed?) $300
4x1.0GB PC2-6400 DDR2 $150
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCIe $300
ThermalTake Augila $160
CM Stacker T01 $160
WD Raptor X 150GB $100
TRUE 120 $65
ThermalTake PurePower 600w PSU $100
LG 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD $280
Multi-Monitor Set-up $0
LG SecurDisc 20x DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW w/ LightScribe $70
Windows Vista Ultimate OS $45 (jealous?)[/color]
Logitech G15/Battlefield 2142 G5 $120[/SIZE]
New PC Build: >$1800 + S&H:eek:
Watching it come to Life: PRICELESS
:D

also: went to newegg.com. getting all the parts I dont have from there...
-1 CM stacker T01 case
-optional side panel w/ window
-3-120mm blue LED fans
-2-80mm blue LED fans
-2 80mm ThermalTake case fan noise dampeners (already have 2 80s and 2 120s, so I just need 1 more 80)
-1 CM stacker cross flow fan
-1 70mm PCI slot fan
-1 extra 5.25-3.5 drive bay cover (already have the converter for the second 3.5 bay I need)
-2 green UV reactive cable sleeving kits
-1 blue UV reactive cable sleeving kits
maybe more colors later
-1 15" cold cathode sound reactive light, blue
-1 15" cold cathode sound reactive light, UV
-1 tube ARCTIC COOLING MX2 Compound
-1 thermalright ultra 120 extreme... maybe... maybe going w/ air cooling though to be able to get the cpu to a 4.0 or higher... massive OC, I know...
-1 logitech g15 keyboard
-1 logitech battlefeild 2142 special edition G5 mouse

except for the graphics card, which is gonna hve to be from BestBuy, since I have a credit line there and tha's where I'll have $300 for returning my 8800 GTS

all that is gonna add roughly anther $450+ to the build, pricing it well over $2200.

but that's all merely ideas now... it's late and I have to work tomorow... so I'll post more on the subject tomorow... criticise my decisions for me so I can really get this system to kick a** standards... because without all of you telling me what sucks I would have ended up w/ worse than my first build specs listed today... thanks...

pics to come...

also note: NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR CPU COOLING UNIT TO OC TO 4.0+Ghz!!!!!!! already looked into tuniq tower 120, zalmon, and thermalright ultima, and the TRUE 120 tops all so far, but I guess it's not gonna be enough cooling for the massive OC I want out of it... looking at the blue orb from ThermalTake, and other air cooled systems... although pricey, LCS isnt out of the pic just yet... so whatever you got I'm listening...

later for now...

that is a nice case, but I have one with the opening front cover and don't like it all that well... but good sugestion... thanks...

get teh q6600.. ....screw e6850

sorry, but already have the e6850... so can't swap that out now... too late...

*edit*

okay... so I got on newegg.com and ordered EVERYTHING else I need to kick this build in the right direction... all except for the dual-joysticks for $120, thanks to cunjo again, and the 8800gt 1024MB, which wont be dropping for another three days from rumors I've heard... but other than that, here's what I just ordered from newegg.com...

g15 keyboard
g5 special edition battlefield 2142
thermalright 120 ultra extreme
scythe s-flex 120mm fan for the true120
3 80mm blue led apevia fans
2 120mm blue led apevia fans
the rest of the noise dampeners from thermaltake
cm stacker t01 silver
cm stacker cross flow case fan
cm side window for stacker
cm 5.25-3.5 bay cover
arctic cooling mx2 tube
2 15" cold cathode lighting tubes
UV cable sleeving kits

so it should be here the middle of next week... and then I'll return the 8800gts for the gt, upgrading exponentially, and i'll have a kick a** system... only thing left to do is put it together and OC it like crazy... which I will be needing your help on btw...

later...

very nice.. but you should really consider selling that e6850... and throwing in a q6600... but its your choice..

also.. u said you got a Raptor X for $100? very nice find!!

went online yesterday and ordered a bunch of stuff from newegg.com, as it says above in this post, but I just thought I would stop in and let you all know what's going on w/ the build up to this point...

-I got my graphics card UPS today... the 8800GTS 320MB, but that's going back to BestBuy within the next couple of days to be swapped out for the 8800GT 1024MB... hopefully there isn't that big of a price difference between the two... my credit balance is next to nothing at this point and I can't afford any major price increase between the two parts...

but my question is still this:
there was a post I read yesterday where somebody said they thought the 8800GT 1024MB version should only be around $310... how is it that I got a GTS 320MB for the same price... how can I be sure that the GT is better than the GTS when the prices are the same for a lesser of the GTS than for a higher memory ammount of the GT? oh well... that will be answered via this forum once it hits stores... hopefully BestBuy will have access to these high-end vga cards... otherwise i'm screwed...

-I also want to find a fan-speed control panel for a 5.25" bay...

-I saw somewhere a 5.25" bay music player with a small display and all that... I think I read that it'll play music while you're doing anything else on the pc, and you can control all the music from that bay rather than having to open a window on the monitor to take care of it... want more info on that, as well as a suggestion on what to look for...

-I need some titles of some good games to look into... a couple good flight sims, maybe one of WWI planes and one w/ newer jets, a good racing sim... like Need For Speed Underground or something like that, and some really good MMORPGs, but I'm tryin to stay away from Everquest... say it once and didn't like it all that much... gimme a good hack-an-slash any day of the week... and at least one good FPS...

-also, I'm thinkin about adding another HDD specifically for games... I read somewhere that the raptor like I have is good for OS and document files, but I wanted to get another just for warehousing my soon-to-be extensive collection of pc games... any ideas there?

-other than that I think I've got everything else I'm gonna need... thanks in advance for helping me out... I know I'm a total n00b at all this, so all of your advice is really helping me...

**edit**
very nice.. but you should really consider selling that e6850... and throwing in a q6600... but its your choice..

also.. u said you got a Raptor X for $100? very nice find!!
r u sure I should get a q6600? isn't that a lower FSB than the e6850? and really what's the diff.?(before I go blowing another $300 on this machine that isn't even finished yet...)

and as for the raptor X... typo. I got it for $200, as you'll see in my corrected sig... my bad.

well I already bought the e6850, so hopefully I wont be that bad off sticking w/ what I already bought...

another thing I happened accross that I'll be needing help w/...

have you ever heard of having to lap the proccessor and/or heatsink when putting the intel together w/ the true120?

you mean sanding it so its even... its not necessary... but do it if you want.. are you asking because one is convex and the other concave?

yea... I think that's what I read somewhere... that was the reason for lapping... will it help improve temps when OCing? or is it so small of a difference that it's a waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom