Intel Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.

saladfork

In Runtime
I read somewhere on Tom Hardware that the rather cheap dual core pentium d could be overclocked from around 2ghz up to around 4ghz

this would be an incredible leap

has anyone actually done this?

is it really stable at that speed?

using a Pentium D wouldn't be worth the money. you would end up spending MORE in the long run on that than you would with a C2D 6300 OC'd. The D would run hotter, consume more power, not to mention the performance difference.

EDIT: It wouldn't be worth it if you had to BUY the Pentium D, but it would be an option if you already had one... but it would still run hot, and consume power. /EDIT

i still hate THG for this article, curse them.

you are thinking of the Pentium D 805. it is clocked at 2.66GHz and yes THG did overclock their cpu to 4.1GHz if i remember correctly. that doesn't mean you can expect to do the same thing. they cost a heck of a lot to operate due to power consumption and they emit a lot of heat. THG didn't reach 4GHz on stock cooling, they needed water cooling. as soon as you throw in watercooling it is going to be more expensive than using an Athlon X2 or a C2D.

it matter wuht pentium D, i saw a review on a Pentium D in the 900 series that was 3.0ghz and they OC'ed to over 4.oghz with stock cooling and i intend on OCing mine somewhere up there as well.

I bet is was about that 805. And yes, it did hit 4.1GHz:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
It went up to 3.6 GHz on air without adjusting the vcore or anything. Sure that's kinda cool, but still doesn't hold a candle to C2Ds.

The C2D E6400 (2.1GHz) pummels the Pentium D 960 (3.6GHz). The reason why I compare those two is because the 960 has that 3.6GHz that you might be able to get out of an 805.

I should also point out that the only frequency a CPU is guaranteed to run at is what it says on the box, no higher. That means that if you were to get an 805, it might be stuck at 2.66GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom