Intel overclocking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

In Runtime
Hey guys I need an honest unbiased opinion I asked around and just got the fkk netburst answers and newer is always better. I know that! I'm asking if with an extreme OC this could be a usable cpu for modern apps. I have a Pentium D 935 I know clocks to around 4.6ghz. I also have a phenom 920 but I can't overclock that at all because of the board. My question is, if I could get the pentium D around 4-5 ghz would it atleast be comparable in performance in games to the 920. I'm running it now stock and it struggles with games like Black Ops. I can get a board free to clock the Pentium, that is why I ask.

I would really like to see that Pentium D 935 clocked up to 4.6GHz. I hope you have a Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen Pot. But your not going to be able to use it continuously at that speed.

Slaymate, these were reviewed around their launch doing 4.6 on air, I have had this one at 4.6 myself on air. I now have water so that should help even more. I will put it into my good board today and get some shots and run some benches. I did find a chart that shows the comparison between c2d and PD. According to that a PD @ 4.1 ghz is equal in performance to a c2d @ 2.2 ghz

I would really like to see that Pentium D 935 clocked up to 4.6GHz. I hope you have a Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen Pot. But your not going to be able to use it continuously at that speed.

Well I'm at 3.858ghz @ a mere 1.184v with a peak temp of 42c under full load. Don't see things getting too crazy as I continue to raise the fsb. I'm sure if your dramatic comments were factual I would be running a little higher temps now.

View attachment 5015

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 53
I don't see any screenshots showing your temperatures at full load and 3.858GHz is a lot different than 4.6GHz.

Regardless you can simply "google" Pentium D to see them well documented running over 4.0ghz on air. I understand these run hotter than new cpu's but as long as I can keep the volts low I should be able to control the heat. I am working on this quite slowly because the G31 board I'm using is weak and I want to keep the volts as low as possible. I know a lot of people were using 1.4v to get similar clocks. I am stable @ 1.182v so I still have a bit of headroom with the volts.

It's a little warm in the house today so I'm a touch warmer but you can see it's not crazy hot.

View attachment 5017

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 51
Last time I used this cpu, roughly 4yrs ago I couldn't get past 4.6 regardless of volts. I don't remember exactly where I was then. Right now my focus is keeping the volts as low as I can. I have a much better power supply now so that is helping a lot. I'm not trying to catch an i7 with this slug lol......

I'm just tryin to make the best out of my situation. I have been unable to find work for about 8 months so I'm running what I got and this sure beats a P3 750 mhz and that's the only other machine I have that's complete. This aint too bad either I'm playing MW3 and it plays smooth and steady around 50 fps but Black Ops OMG I get dips down to single digit frames often enough that is is unplayable and it was perfect on my Phenom @2.8 so I know this thing aint as fast as 3.8ghz would make you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom