Intel experiment - your participation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
hey guys,

So a week or so ago i made this thread Clicky asking if an i5 would perform close to or identical as a quad core i7 with hyper threading off at the same Over clock, and the general consensus was, yes... an i5 and an i7 with hyper threading off at the same over clock would perform equally.

well... id like to put that theory to the test with an experiment.

So this is that part where i need you folks with intel i5's or i7's to participate.

If you have an i5 750 at 4ghz or any quad core i7 LGA 1366 processor with hyper threading off at 4ghz, please run 3DMark vantage, but just the processor tests and post your results.

parameters of the test:

- Run the 3Dmark Vantage Benchmark with " performance settings "
- Also Run the Benchmark with the pre-set " 1280 - 1024 " screen resolution.
- If you are using an i7 or an i5 it must be overclocked to 4ghz
- when you post your results, please post a screen shot of both the vantage score and a CPUID screen shot showing that you are indeed at 4ghz in the same screen shot.
- this test is to determine if an 1156 i5 750 will equal a quad core 1366 i7 with hyper threading off, so the 1156 i7 is not part of the experiment.
- If you have a graphics card with physX, please Disable PhysX

if you can think of any other variables that im not thinking of that will void the tests lemme know.

and finally, i have high hopes for this experiment, and it all relies on your participation, so if you have a processor that falls into the test parameters of the test, please participate, the more tests, the better we can see the results.

Thanks A lot guys!

Results:

1. mib2347: i5 750; Score: 18333
2. C101: i7 920; Score: 18219
3. Slaymate: i7 920; Score: 18442

3DMark Vantage is a crap benchmark to use for a cpu comparison. LinX or SuperPi would be more cpu specific. Passmark would be a better benchmark as it will run a few cpu tests that won't be influenced by the video card.
Passmark BurnInTest 6.0 Build 1023 download from Guru3D.com

Agreed. If you want to measure single threaded performance go with SuperPi or if you want to test multi threaded performance and memory bandwidth go with Linx.

OK, I disabled Turbo Mode and Hyper-Threading on the cpu and I disabled SLI and PhysX with the video and it's at stock speeds.
18718.jpg

ORB - Compare

3DMark Vantage is a crap benchmark to use for a cpu comparison. LinX or SuperPi would be more cpu specific. Passmark would be a better benchmark as it will run a few cpu tests that won't be influenced by the video card.
Passmark BurnInTest 6.0 Build 1023 download from Guru3D.com

Agreed. If you want to measure single threaded performance go with SuperPi or if you want to test multi threaded performance and memory bandwidth go with Linx.

+1... If all you are doing is comparing the individual CPU's you really should use LinX, not vantage

at any rate, if you have the resources need to run the benchmark, id appreciate it if you participated.

i already have the ball rolling cant stop it now.

i have this posted on 4 different forums.

id dint go with Linx becaue i saw someone with the same exact processor at the same ghz and he got 15Gflops more than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom