Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
AnandTech

We received our first Core i7 920 D0 stepping from ASRock a few days ago and have been testing it thoroughly on their X58 SuperComputer Motherboard outfitted with four GTX 260-216 video cards. This new stepping certainly shows promise as initial clocking, voltage levels, and memory speeds were improved for the most part over our best C0 stepping. However, the differences were not exciting enough for us to immediately whip out the credit card and go hunt down a D0 stepping processor. In the middle of our testing, ASRock provided an updated BIOS tuned with the D0 stepping in mind and the results changed enough for us to seek a retail processor. Our ES sample was good, not as good as some hand picked samples we noticed at various forums back in March, but we wanted a retail processor.

Lots more info on the link provided. Looks promising.

Indeed, the changes seem to be akin to that of B3 vs G0.

I was not a huge fan of i7 simply because it could not reach Yorkie/Wolfdale frequencies......but now it appears that is changing. 4.4ghz stable :D

I am getting ready to pick one up and hopefully the shop will let me pick.

apparently on the box
S-spec: SLBEJ
is the coding for the D0 stepping

Cannot confirm this on intel's website as the still only have the C0's listed as slbch

from what i've read it can still be vary variable... some d0's topping out at 3.6, others 4.4.. just like the c0's it seems to really depend on the chip you happen to get..

It is always luck of the draw. I do not think there are enough retail chips out to honestly compare right now. With that said it is a new stepping so something has to be a little different.

I thought D0 was just an aesthetic change? I heard it was just moving something to the side? Most i7's depend on the quality of the IMC inside, i don't think this is any different

I've heard that too, but as the above shows... it seems to perform well, although it might just be a lucky chip... we'll see... I'm probably getting a c0 from newegg... if it doesn't clock too well i will start looking for a d0 lol

I think i'm going to order a d0 along with the one already on order... just sell the one that clocks lowest lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom