Installing a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be wrong, but I think he may be wanting it to turn his computer on with? I know that'd be cool atleast :p

It is a single pole single throw switch (SPST) used to make or break contact between 2 points. Whatever you want to hook it on to, you disconnect one end of the cct and attach it to one end of the switch then do the same with the 2nd end of the cct you want to close/open with the switch. Like microbell said, specially true if you are not familiar with electrical equipment, you should attach a fuse to one end in order to protect your cct from frying. The fuse to use depends on the cct to turn on. Do not exceed the current settings on either the cct or the switch itself. Note that it is not meant to replace a momentary contact switch such as the one your computer is powered with. You should tell us what you want to do with it and try your luck with a cheaper one (1 or 2 dollars) in any electrical/electronic shop. If you don't know what you're doing, I strongly suggest you get help from a friend since you could fry whatever you want to power or even worst cause a short cct/fire.
l

This switch is mainly used as a "breaker" switch, not to turn things on or off, which interupts a signal when it is down. When up it lets a signal through. So I guess you could hook it up between the power switch and mobo, and the switch has to be up to turn the comp off from the power switch. You don't need to have a 12V+ to use it.

FYI I bought this switch at Autozone for 3$ and it was the carbon fiber style, Don't go and buy it from Xoxide for 9$. You can get it at any auto supply store like Pepboys, Autozone, or even Walmart.

I used this switch on our riding lawn mower. Since our mower shuts off when the blade is on and you switch to reverse or get off the seat. I took the wire from the sensor under the seat and cut it, then connected both ends to the switch. Now the mower will turn off only when the switch is down. Its kind of a "kill" switch.

okay I see, more complicated than I though...lol. I was going to use it as a power switch but I guess thats sorta out of the question now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom