installing DFI lanparty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
reinstalling windows doesn't mean i lose my stuff on my hdd right?
also, if my computer didn't come with a disc (im kinda ****ed they didnt send me one when i bought it) would any OS disc work? (say... the XP home that came w/ my dell laptop a couple years ago?) or maybe an xp pro 64x (thats what i have) that i *cough* legally downloaded?
but why would it boot up to the password part if i had to reinstall my OS? i thought if it got that far it was going to work. and why did it just shut down like that with no warning?
and also i sort of doubt its the OS's problem because the computer doesn't even start up. it detects a CPU but no RAM. how is that a software-related issue?

Here is what I did when I put a new mobo in my computer. It is known that you have to reinstall windows when you change mobos which SUCKS because you do lose a lot when you do that. HOWEVER there is a way to get by that. I went to my local PC Club store and they loaded some data onto a floppy disk that I could load onto my computer. The data that was on that disk put stuff into the registry and made it possible to not have to re-install windows. Only problem is that it has to be done BEFORE you switch out your mobo, so you've missed that step. But for next time you should do that.

Another question, were you wearing a static bracelet while doing your install?

Yes, you can use another windows disk, BUT after 30 days it will force you to register and you risk being caught by Microsoft when you have to call them to get the code you need. You can usually get past that by telling them your computer crashed and you had reinstall windows.

Is the password part that you're talking about a BIOS password or a Windows password?

Sorry for the lengthy reply! One more thing... windows can just shut down like that for a million reasons. It could be your PSU. It could also be your BIOS settings for shutting down if the CPU overheats. Make sure you double check those settings and didn't type in a physical number for overheating, that sometimes can mess it up. Try flashing your BIOS and starting over. You won't lose any windows data doing that. If windows does find enough of it's own drivers to get it started, install the mobo driver disk ASAP.

Again, Sorry for the lengthy reply!! Hope that helps!

yes i was wearing a static bracelet while switching the mobo. but i dont think my problem lies in the software field. when i turn on my computer three of the diagnostic LEDs light up which means VGA detected, DRAM not. the screen doesn't come on either. there arn't any beeps and the same exact things happen when i dont have any ram installed at all. is this an indicator that maybe my ram overheated when i initially started the computer?
yes, and i meant the windows password to log on to my account in windows. i think windows is starting fine if i could just get my computer to start up.
i have two sticks of corsair value select pc3200 1gb each. there arn't any heatsinks on it and there was one fan missing when i started it up; the one on the case cover. maybe since the ram was being fanned it blew up or something. is that possible in the short amount of time it was on? i dont think that just windows starting is stressful enough to do something like that.
also, i dont have any means of testing the ram since my dad wont let me open up his computer. but though, like i said, the same things happen with or without the ram.

Well, i heard things about the expert being pretty buggy, maybe thats the problem.

nahh, im not doing anything outragously out of the ordinary, so i dont think its the mobos problem.
im about to go to fry's and pick up some more ram if i can verify that my current ram is bad...... anyone!?!?

memtest 86. Sucks its giving you issues but yeah it is going to involve a reinstall of windows i bet. Just plug hds into a computer and back you stuff up. If you im me later lazer, I can look for some links to backup programs. Busy rebuilding roof.

are u sure im gonna have to reinstall?? i got it to start windows and everything i even interacted with a few windows before it shut down...

edit: clearing CMOS memory will allow me to start up windows, but only for ~20secs before it shuts off again.

You might have to. Usually when I had to install new motherboards, it would come up with an error. Hey maybe doing a reinstall of windows without wiping drive might work. No guarentees though.

hey there, windows configures inself to your hardware ie its chipset features ide controllers and so fourth, so replacing the mother board is like changing the foundations under a house. if they are exactly the same it wont work.. you might be able to try a repair of windows to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom